Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seleukos II tetradrachm attribution help  (Read 634 times)

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
Seleukos II tetradrachm attribution help
« on: January 25, 2022, 10:39:54 am »
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a very odd Seleukos II tetradrachm from the Naumann auction on January 1st. 

The coin was attributed incorrectly by Naumann to Seleukos II tetradrachms from an Unkown Mint, and it doesn't actually appear to be on SCO or in HGC 9.  The same coin was sold at a CNG auction in 2010.  The CNG description did state that the coin is unlisted on SCO, but had it linked to HGC 9 303 (which is the generic Seleukos II / Apollo leaning on tripod tetradrachm type).  According to CNG, at the time it was sold with a David Sear ticket, but that seems to have been lost at some point over the last 12 years.

As far as I can tell, the mint marks are a trident crossed by a dolphin to Apollo's left, but those mint marks don't appear on any other Seleucid coins AFAIK.  The dolphin alone does show up on coins from Laodikeia ad Mare (I have a couple silver coins from Seleukos I / Antiochos I with the dolphin mint mark), but I haven't seen a trident as a mint mark rather than a simple reverse design.  Additionally, HGC 9 does list a Seleukos / Apollo leaning on tripod type tetradrachm from Laodikeia ad Mare, which is HGC 9 303s, but it doesn't have a plate or description, AND its reference to SC is an addendum coin which I can't seem to locate (SC Ad152).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
Re: Seleukos II tetradrachm attribution help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 10:42:19 am »
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to edit and forgot to include the diameter / weight.

27mm
16.89g

Offline marylannin

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:04:17 pm »
SC Ad 152 is correct.

M

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 01:12:53 pm »
OMG YOU ARE MY ABSOLUTE HERO! 

I have Houghton & Lorber on the way, but I only have access to the online version of the Addendum and so I didn't have much to dig through.

That is amazing, I am so stoked.  You made my entire week.

THANK YOU!!!!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 07:38:43 am »
Congratulations, Babylon. It gets better. Much better.  You are the proud owner of a plate coin.  The work you ordered, Houghton and Lorber, which I refer to simply as SC, has your coin as its example of the type. It must be some kind of rarity

So when do you share your collection online with us? A FAC member gallery, perhaps?

Cheers~
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Babylon

• Legionary
  • Σέλευκος ὁ Καλλίνικος
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:07:14 am »
WOOOOOAH that's crazy.

I knew it was rare when I spotted it at Naumann based on the style, but had no idea it was a plate coin.  Wooooooooah!!!!  It's definitely a rarity.  I watch Seleukos II all the time and I've never seen another one come up.

I'll put together a member gallery, for sure.  I'm working on a wix site at the moment as well. 

Some people in the Ancient Coins discord server are helping me get better at taking pictures, then I'll photograph the slew of them. :)

Thanks for posting this, that's insane.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity