Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Colonial Coins of Viminacium & Dacia

(1/2) > >>

bruce61813:
the acual title is "Kolonial-Pragungen aus Moesia Superior und Dacia", it is a work in German about the Moesia Superior, Viminacium and Dacian coins. These are very common among the Provincial and I have written about them before.
  With a great deal of help from Helvetica, she actually did most of the hunting, his book was tracked down. there have been mixed comments about it, but lacking any of the other major references on Provincals, this at least gives one a chance of identifyingthese coins.
  It is 114 pages long, with 8 plates at the end, size wise; 8 1/2 x 11 and about 1/2 inch thick. At $65 or so, it is not pocket change, but if you collect these coins it helps.
 Dane, please feel free to make lots of comments! I am on my way to get a German-English dictionary. However, many of the comments are understandable if you are familar with these coins.

Bruce

Trimalchio:
Hi Bruce,

if you need any help translating, feel free to ask me.

Greetings from Germany - Boris

Robert_Brenchley:
Can you detect anything in the book about the images of the bull and lion? I recently got a nice example (as opposed to horrible worn things in uncleaned lots), and they're real caricatures. The bull's lost its neck, and the lion looks like something off a coat of arms. Are there any comparable portrayals anywhere? Philip I, Year 8, 30mm, 15.44g.

The seller was offering this as a 'Philip I sestertius', and when I pointed out what it really was, he replied to the effect that he knew, but he had to describe it as a sest, as otherwise he got too many Emails asking what the description meant!

David Atherton:
Wow Robert What a coincidence...I have the same coin and was trying to attribute it too! Yours is a much nicer example though than mine...I couldn't make out the inscription very well and the patina on my example is nonexistent.

Robert_Brenchley:
Mostly they're in dreadful condition. I'd had it in the back of my mind for some time to get a nice one just so I could see what they're supposed to look like, and stumbled on this one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version