Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aspendos stater with countermark  (Read 819 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Aspendos stater with countermark
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:02:07 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen.
I have added a coin I always wanted in my collection - an Aspendos stater with wrestlers and slinger. Usually they are expensive so I'm glad I found one, not in the best condition but I find it excellent.
Managed to attribute it as Tekin Series 2 - that's a plus - as far as I know these are not very common.

However what puzzles me completely is the reverse countermark. Does anybody know what that is? I think I exhausted all the options I could think of - helmet; trident; cista mystica.
Today a thought crossed my mind - an antelope with a dolphin between the horns?! but I cannot find a similar countermark.

Note - I posted this on a different board also, if I get an answer I will post it here. I still hope somebody will be able to narrow it down - from what I read, there are countless Aspendos countermarks and there isn't a paper to centralize them (if it is, I am interested in finding out more info regarding this subject)
Many thanks in advance.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Aspendos stater with countermark
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:04:24 am »
Could it be a tripod?

There are a LOT of countermarks on these, I don't know of an online list.

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
Thank you.
It is a possibility.
In the personal catalogue my description for this coin in regards to the countermark is "unknown".
In the meantime I received it (when posting, it was still on the road). I was hoping in hand it will look more clear. Nope.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:44:25 pm »
Could iut be a sacrificial fire issueing from a bowl?
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:46:48 pm »
That's another possibility.
For me, the closest match is a horned animal with something between the horns.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity