Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: anonymous folles  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
anonymous folles
« on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:13 am »
Hi experts,
the existence of anonymous concave / convex shaped folles cannot yet be fully explained. I myself have been dealing with this topic for many years and now have around 30 copies in classes A1 to K. I'm currently looking for more examples on this topic. Perhaps one of you also owns one or more pieces. If this is possible, I would be very grateful for further information such as metrological data and images.
Regards Basil

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: anonymous folles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 03:24:54 pm »
Here it is concaved coin from the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow.

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 01:25:00 pm »
Thank you Byzantofil,
A new copy from the same era that I hadn't seen before. How did you find that?
Thanks again
Basil

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:30:54 pm »
This is a photo from the Pushkin Museum Byzantine coins collection catalog mentioned above.  Recently caught my eye.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 03:25:17 pm »
After a cross over period the old money was no longer legal tender. These coins were illegally concaved to pass as trachea, I have a follis or two that was cut to tetarteron size just to pass as legal currency.

The follis was the equivalent to a cosmopolitan tetarteron ( small silver content 2-4%)  , that exchange around 3 or 4 to one billion trachy. The billion trachy only had up to 8% silver in it and most of that disappeared as it began to circulate, it would have been difficult to tell the difference of the imitation vs a circulated billion trachy ( At a glance.).
The billion trachy also only circulated i the city and Asia minor , not Greece so depending on where the original owner was it determined why he chose to imitate a trachy. He was also increasing the value of his coin.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 05:34:15 am »
Here is another artificially concaved follis. Perhaps you already know this photo.
Heraclius, 610-641  d=35 mm Follis, Thessalonica c. 614-615, æ 10.58 g.

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 11:22:02 am »
Hello Byzantofil,
this is another very interesting specimen of an artificially concaved follis. Thank you for showing. Do you have additional information on this, e.g. regarding provenance etc.?
Basil

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 05:03:07 pm »
Unfortunately I have no information.  The coin was sold at some online auction, the price was in Swiss francs.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 10:35:09 am »
I bought this coin a few months ago but it disappeared during shipping.
27mm/8.5 gr.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=97326.msg601534#msg601534

Best Regards,
Vlad.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:57 pm »
31mm/13.8 g.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 01:41:26 am »
Vladislav, seems to me that your lost follis sold on Zeus Auction 08. 01 again? Lot 774.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 09:08:45 am »
Vladislav, seems to me that your lost follis sold on Zeus Auction 08. 01 again? Lot 774.
I bought from this auction :)
Regards,
Vlad .

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 08:26:54 pm »
Here are a couple more for your library.

Anonymous Class D - 9.1gm 30mm
Constantine X, Type 1 (Sear 1853) - 10.1gm 30mm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity