Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Syracuse AE Litra  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Paul S13

• Praetorian
Syracuse AE Litra
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:13:21 pm »
Dear members,

I try to date this Syracuse AE Litra.

Is it a Dionysios I one, a Timoleon, or strucked during the period of another ruler?

What are the characteristics which distinguish the different dolphin Litras in Syracuse?

Thanks for your time

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Syracuse AE Litra
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 04:25:27 am »
Hi PS,

That's a good question, because I don't know the answer. I wasn't even aware that there was a distinction. Perhaps there isn't a distinction. It may be a situation where the experts (modern scholars) aren't certain.

Your example is much nicer than mine. My example is dated as circa 395 BC. It is not attributed to any specific ruler.

Here is my example (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_syra_pt02.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Paul S13

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 02:56:50 pm »
Ηi Meepzorp,

impressive your Litra with the hippocamp depiction, although significant smaller in size.

Lets hope some experts here will enlighten us further

BR

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 04:33:25 pm »
This twin dolphin litra is generally attributed to the reign of Dionusus I, although Sear places it in the Time of Timoleon. Two different attributions but I believe the same issue. Confusing certainly.
I don't know how we got onto the hippocamp type but there are two different issues of this same design, one a litra and the other a hemilitron.
Hope this helps somewhat.

~ Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 03:28:07 am »
This twin dolphin litra is generally attributed to the reign of Dionusus I, although Sear places it in the Time of Timoleon. Two different attributions but I believe the same issue. Confusing certainly.

~ Peter

Hi Enodia,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. That is basically what I alluded to above. You phrased it differently and with more detail.

That is why it is probably best to not attribute it to any specific ruler, and just provide a year range, which is exactly what the dealer did in my case.

Meepzorp

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 07:30:07 pm »
The 405-400 BC dating under Dionysos I is now a large consensus. See recently M. Puglisi "La Sicilia da Dionisio I a Sesto Pompeo" 2009 or Fischer-Bossert "Coins, Artists and Tyrants" 2017
The coin is also named a drachm as it is identified as the δραχμαὶ καττιτέρου (drachm in tin) mentioned in  Pollux Onomasticon.

There are some evidences that Athena/dolphin and Athena/Hippocamp are the major and the minor nominals of a same monetary system set by Dionysos.

Offline Paul S13

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:23:16 pm »
Indeed Brennos,

Dionysos I mixed tin with bronze in his coins

Btw. refreshing my linguistic skills: Tin is in Greek κασσίτερος

BR

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
yes, καττίτερος is Attic greek where ionic -σσ are replaced with -ττ

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 12:29:23 am »
Indeed Brennos,

Dionysos I mixed tin with bronze in his coins

Btw. refreshing my linguistic skills: Tin is in Greek κασσίτερος

BR

One of definition of bronze is an alloy mixture of copper and tin, sometimes with minor amounts of other elements. Not sure what it would mean to 'mix tin with bronze'...

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity