Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Cyber Monday Sale Everything Discounted 10% Or More!!! Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale. Shop now and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Cyber Monday Sale Everything Discounted 10% Or More!!! Please call us if you have questions 252-646-1958. Shop now and save!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: low-weight tetradrachm from Messembria  (Read 522 times)

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
low-weight tetradrachm from Messembria
« on: May 30, 2021, 02:44:20 pm »
2 years ago I purchased a tetradrachm from a well-known dealer. I was a novice numismatist and I was not embarrassed by her weight.  Now its weight 12, 82 g ( 28 mm) and milled edge give me questions. The dealer confirms its authenticity and is ready to redeem the coin back. After a month of research, I found a similar coin in the Berlin Mint office. https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/thrace/coins/6854
The front is very similar. But nowhere is there a coin with the inscriptions ΜΕΣΑ and ΔΕΙ
I am interested in your opinion of my coin. If it had been cast, its bazic coin and duplicates would have been known; if it had been minted, but counterfeited, its weight would have been respected
Perhaps this is a barbaric imitation. Possibly the coin was obaneyed in the 16th - 17th century.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=125347.0

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
Re: low-weight tetradrachm from Messembria
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 06:59:41 am »
In the Berlin Museum, the coin is defined as Price 1123
see how Hercules looks like on the obverse of the coin.

On the coins Price 1128-1129 the inscription is  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron:, not the inscription  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Iota::Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: is found only on a few coins with an unidentified minting center

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 07:05:59 am »
 :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Iota:  is found only on a few coins with an unidentified minting center

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:47:09 am »
I did a chemical analysis of the coin
Ag 94, 32%
Pb 0.265%
Au 0.672%
Cu 2.469%
Fe 0.277%
Sn 1.997%
The silver content corresponds to the late tetradrachms of the Messembrian. But a suspicious amount of tin in relation to lead

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:23:17 am »
Have you looked in Prof. Francois de Callatay's "Les histories des guerres Mithradatiques vou la par monnaise"  sorry about the French sort of spelling. He has a monograph and large plate section on these late Mesembrian Tetradrachms.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 06:55:37 am »
Do not read. Thank you. I will look for this book

All coins are guaranteed for eternity