Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 5 new denarii - Ron C2's latest gallery coins  (Read 17029 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Kings of Cappadocia, Ariobarzanes I - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2021, 08:59:37 pm »
So the main focus of my collecting has always been the Severan period, with a healthy smattering of third century crisis coins.  That said, I've recently branched out slightly and got interested in some very specific areas that fall outside this milieu. One of those is the Kingdom of Cappadocia, after reading how they were one of the few conquered areas in Alexander's empire that evaded Greek rule in the Hellenistic period, although they clearly adopted much of Greek culture.  Another is byzantine gold coins, but that's another story...

In any event, I started a new Cappadocian Kingdon gallery that I may add a few coins to, starting with this rather handsome example from Ariobarzanes I's 30th regnal year.

I hope you like it, and apologies to the forum members who read my updates because you all love the Severan and crisis Roman eras.

Please let me know what you think!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173376

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Kings of Cappadocia, Ariobarzanes I - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »
I don't have any of these, but they are of great interest as part of my Turkey obsession. I do have one of Galatia, they fascinate me, as well, being adjacent to Cappadocia and of Celtic origin. Not to mention Pontus and Paphlagonia. Nice coin. I keep my eye out for them, but they always elude me up until now.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Some Byzantine gold Histamenon Nomisma - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2021, 08:40:17 pm »
I added a couple Byzantine gold Histamenon Nomisma to kick off a new Byzantine gold coin album in my Gallery.  No idea if there is much interest in Byzantine gold coins here at Forum, but we'll give it a go.  I normally think of the Byzantine period as just another part of the Imperial Roman era, but with the capitol city moved to Constantinople.  I find that some of the coins of the later eastern empire are every bit as interesting as the western empire coin types I also collect, though I get that not everyone shares these views.

Let me know if you want to see any more additions to this album :)

So here are the first couple I posted, noting these are scyphate types and I had to break out a very different flash setup to get decent shots of these coins - they have a lot of depth that can be hard to capture.  For those that care about such things, I'm shooting an Olympus 50mm f2.0 macro lens, set to f22, with an Olympus RF-11 TTL ring flash.  The twin-gun setup I normally use over-exposes some areas of these shiny 3D coins, and under-exposes other areas, while the ring flash tends to flatten the image with even lighting, making the lit images much better.  (Yeah, I know... boring photography stuff! Get to the coins damnit!)

Coin 1: Constantine IX Monomachus Histamenon Nomisma Sear 1828, 1042-1055 CE.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173452

Coin 2: Michael VII Ducas Histamenon Nomisma Sear 1868, 1071-1078 CE.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173453

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Carus Antoninianus - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2021, 09:00:18 pm »
I added an Antoninianus of Carus, fairly patinated coin, but with a nice, bold obverse portrait. Hopefully you like it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173524

I also added in another King of Cappadocia drachm, this time for Ariarathes IX. It's a bit worn, but shows well in-hand.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173525

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Phocas Solidus - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2021, 07:52:33 pm »
Just added a rather nice Solidus example of the Emperor Phocas.  Let me know what you think of this one - the coin is in great shape, but these types in general are cruder to my eye than the solidii of Maurice Tiberius that preceded him, or of Heraclius that succeeded him.  Phocas was hated almost everywhere in the empire apart from Italy (strangely), so I wonder if this factored into how the celators depicted his coinage?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173531

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Phocas Solidus - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2021, 01:36:24 am »
Some nice addition, Ron,

🤗👍

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariarathes V drachms - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2021, 08:17:36 pm »
I added a couple Ariarathes V drachms, but am only posting the first one tonight, I ran out of flash batteries - lol.  Second to be posted maybe tomorrow.

First one has nice heavy toning, and despite having some corrosion pits, is a decent example.  The second one is a higher grade, pics soon!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173755

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariarathes V drachms - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2021, 10:03:35 pm »
Found some batteries :)  Here is the second coin, which in-hand is a better grade, I think.  Same reference number and regnal year, but different field monograms.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173756

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Constans II Semissis - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2021, 01:36:00 pm »
Added a really nice example of a Constans II AV Semissis.  Really pleased with this one, it's a great example of the type, and despite being from a fairly crude numismatic period, the artistry on the obverse is noteworthy, with a return to depicting the emperor in profile, a throwback to more classical times. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173761

Let me know what you think of this one, as I was rather glad to add it to my collection.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2021, 01:38:22 pm »
Crazy style on these.  Nice pick up

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2021, 04:30:46 pm »
I saw the handlebar mustache, then interpreted the diadem with ties as a bandana, and immediately had Born to be Wild in my head........

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »
I saw the handlebar mustache, then interpreted the diadem with ties as a bandana, and immediately had Born to be Wild in my head........

SC

I completely understand this!  It's a stand-out for style in an era of otherwise largely face-on obverse portraits that come across as comparatively cruder. The emperor, from neck up, could be mistaken for any number of hippies, grunge artists, or rock stars from the modern age - close-cropped goatee and all! :)

Interestingly, his later gold coinage depicts him with a long orthodox patriarchal beard and looks nowhere near like he was a cool dude.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Profectio Avg - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2022, 09:52:18 pm »
Added another white whale to my Septimius gallery today.  I had purchased this reference a couple years ago from a reputable dealer and it got lost in the mail - the only coin I've ever mail-ordered that never turned up either to me or as a returned mail item to the dealer.  It was legitimately lost, and sadly was also not an inexpensive buy.

Luckily, I managed to secure this example, in very similar condition to the coin that was previously lost in transit, at a recent auction, including with some provenance

Denarii of Septimius depicting the emperor on horseback are not particularly uncommon - there are several VERY common types, like the ADVENTVI AVG FELICISSIMO RIC 74.  But this is a considerably more scarce Septimius horseback denarius variety.

It's a decent example that doesn't look to have been cleaned.  There are a few surface encrustations I have not tried to remove.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174072

Hope you like the copin, please let me know what you think.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Justinian Solidus - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2022, 06:04:31 pm »
Just added my second coin acquisition of 2022, a nice Justinian I solidus.  This is a great example that I was happy to snag.  Overall, an EF specimen, though sadly the strike was a little wear in the center, so part of the left side of the facial obverse and the same part of the reverse (the lower part of the angelic robe) didn't quite fill out the die.  Nevertheless, a nice example of a Justinian Solidus for my slowly expanding byzantine gold coin album.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174085

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Exceptional Ariarathes V drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2022, 04:00:01 pm »
I was thrilled to receive this Cappadocian drachm of Ariarathes V last week, as it's a significant quality upgrade over my other two examples of HGC 811.  The other two are not identical, of course, given the wide array of monograms on the fields of these relatively uncommon coins. 

All that to say though, the obverse was clearly done by a master celator - it's nicer than many larger tetradrachm portraits that are twice the size.  I definitely gave a very premium price for the coin, but no regrets in adding this exceptional piece to my collection.

Let me know what you think of this beautiful portrait!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174097

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariarathes VII drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2022, 10:32:21 pm »
Just added a pretty scarce drachm of Ariarathes VII regnal year 10 from mint C.  not as nice as my last Cappadocian drachm, but this one is a rarer coin and not a bad example.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174299

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2022, 10:58:15 pm »
I bet it's nicer in hand.  You can just tell sometimes.  Nice pick up

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »
I am just loving some of your latest acquisitions, love the Cappadocian coins.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2022, 08:31:02 am »
Thanks guys. Yes. The coin is very lustrous on the obverse in hand. It photographs a little flatter than it appears in person. I'd say it's either aVF or VF.

I still acquire septimius coins to fill holes as I find the right coins, and Cappadocia coins are tougher to find for sale in general. Not common drachms to begin with.

The Byzantine gold stuff is just costly, but not that rare in most cases. For every gold coin I buy, my other acquisitions slow down as they impact the coin budget a tad.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Pax denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2022, 07:10:11 pm »
Added a nice example of the relatively common RIC 118, Paci Aeterni.  Nice tone on this one, glad to have picked it up.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174315

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: scarce early Septimius denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2022, 06:40:50 pm »
I picked up this nicely provenanced denarius recently at auction and had to liberate if from it's NCG tomb.  The coin was mis-attributed by the auction house as the common RIC 38, but is actually an RIC 48, which is far more rare.  It's a second issue of Septimius from 194.

For example, there were 32 examples of RIC 38 in Reka Devnia, and only 2 of RIC 48. 

Additionally, the obverse portrait here is the work of a master celator from the Rome mint.  Arguably my nicest (or perhaps top 3?) Septimius portraits.  The reverse is a strike from a bit of a worn die, but still and exceptional addition to my collection overall.  Very excited to have it.

coin here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174349

Let me know what you think of this (in my opinion) amazing portrait! :)

I'm thinking this one was a little more true to life than many Septimius portraits, he has the characteristic Berber curly hair, but no stylized philosopher's beard imitating Marcus Aurelius.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2022, 06:50:15 pm »
I agree the portrait is amazing.

Virgil

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2022, 08:09:39 pm »
The BEST portrait I have ever seen of him in my 57 years with ancient coinage!!!!!
Wanna sell it?  ;)
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2022, 09:58:19 pm »
Ditto.  Like looking at a black and white photograph!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2022, 10:04:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  If you outlive me, my Septimius collection will no doubt wind up on the forum store or an auction house... lol. I have never sold an ancient.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity