Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

Rzadka i dziwna emisja z Siscji

<< < (2/3) > >>

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---"Upon the retirement of Diocletian and Herculius, Severus succeeded to the administration of the territories previously administered by Her­culius. Siscia thus became a Severan mint" (RIC VI, strona 447-448).
--- End quote ---

Nie rozumiem tego!

Zobaczmy, jak dobrze działa Tłumacz Google ...

Pomyślałem, że po ich abdykacji mamy dawne terytorium Diocletian, teraz kontrolowane przez nowego wschodniego casaer Maximinus II, i dawne terytorium Herculius, teraz kontrolowane przez nowego zachodniego Cezara Severus II. Tyle że Galerius, poprzednio kontrolujący Pannoniae, Moesiae i Thraciae, teraz chwyta dla siebie Asianę (Cyzicus) i Ponticę (Nicomedia), pozostawiając tylko Orientis dla Maximinus.

Czy to źle? Galerius chwyta Asianę i Ponticę, ale oddaje Pannoniae (Siscia) Severus, a potem zabiera Pannoniae z powrotem po śmierci Severus?

Ben

paesanu:

--- Quote from: Lech Stępniewski on January 12, 2021, 07:42:04 pm ---Gdyby Pan mógł sobie przypomnieć szczegóły, byłbym zobowiążany.

--- End quote ---
Pisałem to w kontekście mającej miejsce dyskusji na forum tpzn, związanej z przyporządkowywaniem kropek do bram z Siscji.
Nic ponad to niestety nie dodam. Z kropkami w bramkach był problem techniczny, tu jest polityczny.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on January 12, 2021, 09:14:36 pm ---
--- Quote ---"Upon the retirement of Diocletian and Herculius, Severus succeeded to the administration of the territories previously administered by Her­culius. Siscia thus became a Severan mint" (RIC VI, strona 447-448).
--- End quote ---

Nie rozumiem tego!

--- End quote ---

Do you disagree with Sutherland? He has also written in his comment to group III:

"Whatever Maxentius’ hopes may have been, his influence did not touch Siscia, which produced no coin in his name or in that of Herculius as holder of resumed power. [...] How long its activity continued in 307 is doubtful: coins of Constantine as Caesar could have been produced at any time up to the late summer, but it is likely that Siscian minting activity ended, temporarily, by c. spring 307. If so, there followed an interval of some eighteen months or a little more without coinage, for the next issues to appear are characterized by the inclusion of Licinius (i.e. after November 308, when the Siscian mint was assigned to him), with Constantine and Maximinus as Filii Augustorum."

So the chronology for Siscia looks like this:

1.5.305 - 25.7.306 - Severus as caesar
25.7.306 - spring 307 - Severus as augustus
spring 307 - end of 308 - mint closed
end of 308 (after Carnuntum) - Licinius

My fantasy (because it is more a fantasy than a theory) suggests that there could be some coins in the name "of Herculius as holder of resumed power" which are, however, very hard to distinguish from coins minted for Galerius. Maybe produced in panic after Severus' defeat and intentionally ambiguous.

And there is another riddle: why in Severan mint coins minted for Severus as augustus are so rare (SICIA 175, 176c, 177b, 178b, 179c). New finds also confirm this disproportion. On my page there are a couple of unlisted varieties minted for Severus as caesar but only one (SISCIA 179c) for Severus as augustus. So maybe Siscia was closed earlier? At the end of 306? Or maybe Severus lost at that time his power in Siscia and there was a kind of interregnum? But also Galerius' Serdica is rather inactive between 25.7.306 and spring 307. Probably Maxentius' revolt made a great disturbances in communication, broke trading routes etc. (all roads lead to Rome...).

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Lech Stępniewski on January 12, 2021, 03:33:34 pm ---Wszystkie te bajeczki mają tę zaletę, że kształcą wyobraźnię i raz jeszcze (który to?) pokazują, jak mało w istocie wiemy o ówczesnych przepychankach politycznych, które dotarły do nas  w postaci szczątkowej i uładzonej.

--- End quote ---
Jedna część składowa moich bajeczek może, ale oczywiście nie musi, mieć zawierać jakiś cień prawdy - chodzi mi o przypisanie emisji do początkowych dni/tygodni panowania. Patrząc przez analogię do I-II w. (które to okresy mogły pod tym względem nie mieć żadnych analogii), coś było na rzeczy jeśli chodzi o nieumiejętność szybkiego przekazania do mennicy poprawnego wizerunku nowego władcy, co powodowało bicie pierwszych monet z gębą podobną do poprzedniego władcy albo też właściwie do nie wiadomo kogo. Oczywiście dotyczy to władców, którzy objęli tron w sposób mniej lub wcale spodziewany (Wespazjan, Nerwa, Trajan), tych od dawna wyznaczonych to w żaden sposób nie dotyczy (Antonin Pius, Marek Aureli, Kommodus). Tak jak by to był jakiś wielki problem zweryfikować jak nowy cysarz wygląda i dopiero bić monety. Nawet jak cesarz siedział na miejscu w Rzymie, to i tak był widoczny poślizg (np. Nerwa).

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---Do you disagree with Sutherland?
--- End quote ---

No ... I just never realized that Galerius had ceded Pannoniae to Severus! It does make some logical sense, but I'm curious what evidence there is to support this?

The default arrangement would have been for Galerius to keep the tetrarchic borders unchanged from the 1st tetrarchy, but apparently he wanted Diocletian's Pontica and Asiana for himself, and so at the same time was willing to give Pannoniae to Severus.

It seems Severus (and before him, Maximianus) must have had Hispaniae also, since I've read (can't remember where) that Spain chose to side with Maxentius after the death of Severus. Control of Spain doesn't seem very clear, since I've also seen suggestions it was originally under Constantius rather than Maximianus, but if the "choosing to side with Maxentius" is true, then it seems it must have been under Severus and presumably Maximianus before him.

It seems, from RIC comments, that these areas "controlled" by each emperor was only a loose arrangement, not strict territories, although the patterns of coinage do seem to reflect the mints in each "territory" acting as a group, sometimes differentiated from those in other territories. I have to reconsider my comments about Siscia now!

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version