Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

RPC Question?

<< < (2/3) > >>

peterpil19:
Hi Joe,

I'm very happy to volunteer. I've made only modest changes so far so admittedly am getting more out of numiswiki than I have put in.  I've not come across anything that is missing so far though (to my surprise!).  I even searched 'sphendone' yesterday evening and was pleasantly surprised that there was a page for it.

RPC is not a reference I own yet, otherwise I would have spotted that missing entry as I am routinely looking up references on numiswiki!

If there is a list of known subjects without content, known pages which are incomplete, or perhaps top searches which did not yield results - perhaps they could go into a list on the numiswiki board and we could assist you by working through them and knocking them off one by one? Or you might have other ideas based on what has worked in the past?

Peter

Joe Sermarini:
I don't have any great ideas for work that needs to be done right now.  If you ever ask yourself a numismatic or history question and the answer is not on NumisWiki please add it. I want NumisWiki to answer every question. :)

Anaximander:
I've amassed the existing published volumes of RPC, but it hasn't escaped my notice that volume VII.1 (de Gordien Ier a Gordien III) is in French.  Not a problem for a French-speaker like myself, but I am curious if it also exists in English.  I've seen one poster at another site moaning about the book being in French.  The Numiswiki entry has the title in English. I've just noticed that there are separate ISBNs for British Museum Press and Bibliotheque nationale de France, so I suppose that's a dead giveaway.  

The online site at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/ states that there is a new online edition as of July 1, 2019, including vol. II. Volume I has since been added.  Altogether, RPC Online has ten online works available (including four parts of volume IV) with six pending.  

I've updated the Numiswiki with the new (July 2019) links to the online volumes, adding the new volumes.  
Any mistakes on the links is on me.  Please advise if you see anything amiss.

Anaximander

Joe Sermarini:
Thanks for updating the links.

curtislclay:
An interesting question which had not occurred to me before!

In the online version of RPC  VII.1, all of the coin descriptions have been translated from French into English.

However, I am not aware of a printed English translation of the whole volume, including those online English descriptions plus the introductory chapters (pp. 19-97) and the shorter introductions to each mint.

In the Preface by M. Amandry, the Summary by A. Burnett, and the Acknowledgements and Introduction by M. Spoerri Butcher, I find no mention of the fact that this volume is exceptionally in French, nor of any intention to also publish an English translation. This suggests to me that no such translation was ever planned.

I would also assume that only the English translations of the coin description are available online, not the original French descriptions too or the whole volume in French.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version