Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dental water pick  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Dental water pick
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:55:45 pm »
Can you use a dental water pick on uncleaned coins?  Not the weenie Walmart version but the kind they use in dental clinics.  I got my teeth cleaned the other day and they used a high power precision water pic.  The tartar comes right off but does nothing to teeth.  Just curious and can't see that it has been discussed before. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Dental water pick
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:17 am »
I don't recall a previous discussion of this.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Ultrasonic scaler to clean coins?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:47 pm »
The professional term for the equipment is ultrasonic scaler.  From what I can tell, it has seen some use in archeology, but I haven't been able to find any information on its use in cleaning encrusted coins.  Somebody must have tried this?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Ultrasonic scaler to clean coins?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:54:04 am »
The professional term for the equipment is ultrasonic scaler.

Ughhh....I spent two sessions in the chair with one of these last week !!!   But at least now now my teeth look like this....  ;D

Assuming it would do good on encrustation, since I assume it never really needs to touch the coin's surface the patina probably wouldn't be impacted.  A quick internet search shows basic units for a couple hundred dollars.

Is anyone really good friends with a dentist?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity