Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An anonymous double sestertius of Gallienus  (Read 500 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
An anonymous double sestertius of Gallienus
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
Hi,

My former post graduate research supervisor, John  Casey, died earlier this year. Recently his teaching collection of coins came up for sale. I remembered many of them from the undergraduate teaching room and wanted some to remind me of him. I was sadly out bid on many of them but one little lot of twelve coins I was able to secure and included in that lot was a coin type I have been looking for an affordable example of for a long time.

The coin in question is an anonymous double sestertius from the mint of Rome during the late sole reign of Gallisnus. The obverse features a radiate head of Genius with the obvious features of Gallienus, legend GENIUS P R; the reverse INT VRB around a large SC all within a wreath (Goebl 702h). RIC places the issue as the interregnum coinage after the reign of Aurelian.

Not the best preserved example but a reminder of some good times with my mentor.

Regards,

Mauseus  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity