Numismatic and History Discussions > Books and References

Old Auction Catalogue Madness!

<< < (59/61) > >>

Optimo Principi:
Does an online version exist of the famed Leu 17, 1977 Nicolas auction? It seems to be a hard catalogue to find.

Carausius:
Not that I'm aware of.  Several Forum members, including me, have copies of that catalogue, so if there is a certain type or lot that you a looking for, just ask. 

Optimo Principi:
It’s come to my attention a recent acquisition of mine came from M&M Basel fixed price list 391, July 1977, lot 23. The coin has a very dark tone so I am wondering if any collections were associated with this sale? I only have the plate photo, no further information.

Carausius:
Nice coin, and nice provenance!  I have most of the MuM FPLs for that era, but I'm missing #391.  Sorry.  I'll see if I can get someone else to chime-in.  

Andrew McCabe:

--- Quote from: Kained but Able on October 02, 2018, 08:32:43 am ---It’s come to my attention a recent acquisition of mine came from M&M Basel fixed price list 391, July 1977, lot 23. The coin has a very dark tone so I am wondering if any collections were associated with this sale? I only have the plate photo, no further information.

--- End quote ---

There's never any collections or provenance information associated with any M&M Basel FPL. Never seen even a single instance, and I've 98% of the lists from 100 to 609. Seems to have been policy never to disclose sources. That still remains policy for almost all fixed-price dealers as they buy to flip, so their sources are inevitably recent. To quote three current examples Ed Waddell doesn't disclose where his coins (just) came from though he may quote much older provenances. Nor does the Baldwin's FPLs. Nor do the Berk sales (effectively FPLs with potential to make offers). Auctions are different because the coins within may be old collections, but FPLs inevitably are recent auction buys (which you deliberately don't disclose so your clients won't find out where or how cheap you buy coins) or minor random purchases (which aren't very interesting to disclose). So FPLs old or new very rarely have provenance information.

I attach the cover, plate and text info from this sale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version