Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Old Auction Catalogue Madness!

<< < (5/62) > >>

carthago:

--- Quote from: Carausius on June 27, 2015, 01:07:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: curtislclay on June 26, 2015, 11:49:50 am ---Hand pricing is always prices realized, in my experience.

The amounts should also give it away: if always even multiples of 5, 10, 100 etc., estimates; if not, prices realized.

--- End quote ---

Quite right, Curtis. I looked through the catalogue again and most of the prices noted are precise (i.e. 3, 7, 9, 36 etc). So, I am confident these are realized prices, though who knows if they are actually correct. I shudder to think of someone relying on the accuracy of my own hand-priced catalogues 80 years from now!

--- End quote ---

Carausius:
Thank you, Carthago!  I will compare to my catalogue tomorrow.

Andrew McCabe:
That looks like prices realised to me. Full of odd numbers like 11 and 26. And it shows that lots have been combined in quite a few cases, which would happen live. I'm curious as to whether it'll match the handwritten numbers.

curtislclay:
Note that Ratto was charging for this list: price 4 francs. So clearly prices realized on that account too, in addition to the odd numbers and combined lots. I have never heard of a dealer charging for the list of estimated prices!

Andrew McCabe:

--- Quote from: curtislclay on June 28, 2015, 03:11:11 pm ---Note that Ratto was charging for this list: price 4 francs. So clearly prices realized on that account too, in addition to the odd numbers and combined lots. I have never heard of a dealer charging for the list of estimated prices!

--- End quote ---

Glendinings used to charge a premium cost for post-sale priced catalogues. The scale was something like, illustrated pre-sale 2 shillings, unillustrated copies at the sale free, illustrated and priced post sale 5 shillings. I know because I've a bunch of Glendinings and in some cases the same catalogue with and without prices realised with a substantial difference in price. Recall that absent the internet, there wasn't alternatives to paying for the prices realised if you wanted to follow the market. That might also explain the tendency for sale participants to manually price everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version