Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Barrington Atlas

(1/2) > >>

David Atherton:
Thought I would mention a book that I purchased a couple of years ago and couldn't do without...The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World.

It's a cartographer's dream! So many places that are named in ancient sources can be found on the pages of this atlas, no matter how obscure (ever heard of Plana, Dalmatia?). Not to mention it is beautifully packaged. The gazetteer that comes along with it is just as important.

An inexhaustible source for Greek/Roman history buffs and coin collectors.

Highly recommended!

Does anyone else use this atlas?

Steve Minnoch:
I don't own a copy but I am able to use a reference copy at a library, and I concur that it is a phenomenally good work.

Steve

David Atherton:
Bobicus, you will not be disappointed. Save those pennies, it will open up the whole of the ancient world for you. It kind of reminds me of a Rand McNally road atlas, even down to the reststops.

Severus_Alexander:
I've been looking for years for a good map of the Roman World during the times of each of the emperors.  I'd especially like to see one for Severus Alexander.   Has anyone ever seen this in any of the Atlases?  All the ones one the interactive internet ones don't allow you to select a certain emperor and then see the empire during his time.  

Any ideas?

David Atherton:
The  Barrington atlas has features that are color coded for different time periods.....but the Roman era is all the same color code.

I too would be interested to know of a type of map that would show the empire at any given time period. Most maps of the whole empire show it in 117AD at it's furthest extent. It would be interesting to see how provincial boundaries changed over time. The Barrington Atlas doesn't show these boundaries because they changed so often over the centuries.

My big complaint about most maps of the city of Rome is that they tend to show the later city, not the Rome of the 1st century. The Rome of Augustus did not have the colosseum, the forum or baths of Trajan, the mausoleum of Hadrian, ect... I've purchased the Forma Urbis Romae folio set by Lanciani and it is very difficult to look at the map from one era's point of view. The Topographical Dictionary of Platner and Ashby and the new one by L. Richardson make up some of the ground though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version