Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thrilled Double Thrilled Treble Thrilled Mega Thrilled  (Read 1235 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Thrilled Double Thrilled Treble Thrilled Mega Thrilled
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:12 am »

Today I would like to share with you the thrill I had when I dug up my first roman denarius in the middle of a field. This was the most amazing experience and is hard to put into words. The fact that it is in such prime condition also leads me to believe it was either lost soon after it was minted or it was hidden and there could be more in the vicinity. It has gone to FLO and will be added to the antiquity scheme.

TRAJAN. 98-117 AD. AR Denarius (3.30 gm). Struck
103-111 AD. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P,
laureate bust right, drapery on far shoulder /
COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Dacia seated
left in mourning on pile of arms; DAC CAP in
exergue. RIC II 98

This was a breathtaking moment

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Thrilled Double Thrilled Treble Thrilled Mega Thrilled
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:19 am »
Congratulations on your find Helen  +++ +++

What are the laws regarding metal detecting finds in the UK, does the finder have to hand over all coins and other treasures to the government or museums ?

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:25 am »
Marvelous! Congratulations. I've done a little metal detecting myself and I've managed to unearth some extremely rare and valuable bottle caps and washers.  :P

Offline Curio Bill

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:59 am »
Marvelous! Congratulations. I've done a little metal detecting myself and I've managed to unearth some extremely rare and valuable bottle caps and washers.  :P

If you found those in South Carolina I was the one who found them first & then put them back for you to find...... ::)

Helen, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would make for an awesome day!!!

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:23 am »
Well done Helen, great first roman indeed. 

BTW, what or who is FLO?

;D   

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:46 am »
  Thanks guys for all your welcoming comments FLO is the Finds Liason Officer who will plot it and then enter it into the antiquity scheme we have here in the UK  +++

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
Hi Helen S,

I have three comments:

1. Congratulations, this is a fantastic coin! Thank you for sharing.   :)

2. I didn't know you are a metal detectorist. Have you just started since collecting ancients?

3. I haven't seen a post from you in a while. I thought you disappeared from the forum.

Mike

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »
Congrats, Helen, that is so exciting!

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »
Britain is one of the few nations that seems to get its antiquities discovery right, incentivizing people to not only find stuff but also report their finds.

I prize honesty very highly, but if I came across some sort of treasure in a National Park (where even the dust is the property of the US Gov't), that's when my true test of character would occur.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »
Wow, Helen what an experience! Congratulations!

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
Helen,
Nice find I would certainly go back and see if I can find more,this would hold a special place in my collection as you probably have been the first to look at it since it was lost
all of those years ago
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:12 pm »
 Thank you  guys for all your wonderful comments Andrew I am planning to go back I would like to physically take eight to ten inches off the surrounding area and then detect it again . This coin looks to me like it has been protected and so I am convinced there will be more down there EXCITING TIMES

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 05:22:25 am »
Excellent coin Helen.  I am sure that finding "any old denarius" would have been thrilling but it must be extra-exciting to have such a wonderful coin.  Great portrait of Trajan with the aegis on his bust.  And what a great reverse.  While we know that Roman coinage circulated through the Empire here is a stark reminder of itshuge size.  In one remote corner of the Empire you find a coin dedicated to Trajan's recent victory in far away Romania.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:36:11 pm »
Hi Helen,

Congratulations on a great find. I wish that we could find ancient coins buried in the ground here in the USA.

About 2 years ago, someone found a medieval Spanish coin buried on a beach only a few miles from my home. That was an amazing surprise in and of itself. That is quite rare around here. That's the first (and only) time in my lifetime that I ever recall anyone finding something like that around here. Unfortunately, that is the best that we can hope for in the USA. There are no Greek or Roman coins burid here. :(

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity