Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID: Syracuse, AE unit, 288-278 BC aprox. Hiketas. Eagle. Overstruck?  (Read 854 times)

Offline NUMISMATICA_KANDAHAR

• Praetorian
Hello to everybody.
PtolemAE help me eith the coin so much.
I have been researching with the important data that he gave me.
Now I am on the right way.
I have been looking a lot of Syracuse coins. I think the complete identification will be the following:

Syracuse, Sicily. Hiketas (287-278 BC). AE unit. Syracuse mint. Ref: Calciati II, pag. 313 #168. Weight 6,7 gr. Anv: Head of Zeus Hellanios to right. Rev: Eagle above thunder, "A" on field. Weight 6,7 gr. Crude overstruck.
Scarce coin but in a bad condition.

What do you think?
It's an overstruck?
All the best.

Patricio

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: ID Help: Ptolemaic copper? Eagle and "A" letter. What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:23:23 pm »
Hello to everybody.
I think that this coin could be ptolemaic.
At the begining I tought it was roman provincial in Egypt but I've been looking and the designs and weight doesn't match.
On one side you can see an eagle and a letter "A" very clear. I think that there is a legend to the left but has a lot of porosity and I can't read. The other side of the coin it's very bad. I couldn't see what's on it. Maybe a face to right? But I am not sure.
The weight it's 6,7 gr.
Any help will be great.
All the best.
Patricio

Sicily. Syracuse.  Ca. 280BC.  IMHO 100% certain.  And that means, of course, not Ptolemaic.

PtolemAE

Offline NUMISMATICA_KANDAHAR

• Praetorian
Re: ID Help: Ptolemaic copper? Eagle and "A" letter. What do you think?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:00 pm »
Hello PtolemAE.
Thank you very much.
I have been researching with the important data that you give me.
Now I am on the right way.
I have been looking a lot of Syracuse coins of the time.
I think the complete identification will be the following:

Syracuse, Sicily. Hiketas (287-278 BC). AE unit. Syracuse mint. Ref: Calciati II, pag. 313 #168. Weight 6,7 gr. Anv: Head of Zeus Hellanios to right. Rev: Eagle above thunder, "A" on field. Crude overstruck.
Scarce coin but in a bad condition.

What do you think?
It's an overstruck?
Thanks a lot PtolemAE.
All the best.

Patricio

All coins are guaranteed for eternity