Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

lead token or coin

(1/2) > >>

sviridov:
Hi,

I found also this small lead token or coin.
11mm in size and 1,4 gm
Front: large cross
Back: a gothic "D" with a point inside

It looks a bit like an English post-medieval token.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Sviridov

Diederik:
Would perhaps help if you said where you found it..

Frans

sviridov:
Hi Frans,

I found it in a large box of coin at a coin fair. I'm afraid this won't be must of help...

Yours,

Sviridov

Diederik:
These lead tokens were mainly used in the Middle Ages up to the nineteenth century as proof of payment or deposit. Owners of ships got one to prove they paid for the maintenance of the beacons at  certain ports, members of guilds possessed one (sometimes in bronze or silver) to prove they were members of that guild. Millers distributed them to farmers who had handed in sacks of corn etc. So many of these tokens will pass into oblivion as no-one knows any more what their use was.
In Holland we have a nice expression: 'Het loodje leggen' (to put the lead (token) on the table) when someone dies. The relatives took the lead token to the church as proof the burial had been paid for in advance.

Frans

benito:

--- Quote from: Frans Diederik on December 23, 2012, 07:12:25 am ---These lead tokens were mainly used in the Middle Ages up to the nineteenth century as proof of payment or deposit. Owners of ships got one to prove they paid for the maintenance of the beacons at  certain ports, members of guilds possessed one (sometimes in bronze or silver) to prove they were members of that guild. Millers distributed them to farmers who had handed in sacks of corn etc. So many of these tokens will pass into oblivion as no-one knows any more what their use was.
In Holland we have a nice expression: 'Het loodje leggen' (to put the lead (token) on the table) when someone dies. The relatives took the lead token to the church as proof the burial had been paid for in advance.

Frans

--- End quote ---

You cloggies,always so practical. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version