Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Salus sestertius of Severus Alexander  (Read 711 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Salus sestertius of Severus Alexander
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
Here's an early coin from Severus Alexander's reign that I rescued from Ebay.  It needed a little cleaning and unfortunately had some deep scratches but it's still a reasonable specimen, very nice in hand.  I was surprised to note that my collection of sestertii does not possess BMC 83, the same reverse as this one except with SALVS PUBLICA legend.  It's listed in RIC as common but I've never seen one except in BMC

Obverse: IMPCAESMAVRSEVALEXANDER(AVG)  [IMP CAES M AVR SEV ALEXANDER AVG]
Bust laureate right, draped and cuirassed, front view
Reverse: (P)MTRPCOS(P)P  SC in exergue
Salus draped seated left on throne, feeding from patera in right hand, snake coinling up from altar, resting left arm , elbow bent, on side of throne
BMC 39, RIC 393
Weight, 22.092g; die axis, 12h.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Salus sestertius of Severus Alexander
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »
Yours is from the same dies as BM 39, pl. 1, and a little better preserved too, confirming the rarity of the type. BM 83 that you mention, pl. 3, with the same type but descriptive legend, is also from the same obverse die.

You are aware that all bronzes of Alexander in 222 are rare? That's why they come up relatively infrequently, and new specimens often share dies with those previously known.

Apparently the reduced volume of bronze production introduced by Septimius and Caracalla and continued by Macrinus and Elagabalus also lasted until the end of Alexander's first year. It was only with the new bronze types of his TR P II that a higher level of production was resumed.
Curtis Clay

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: Salus sestertius of Severus Alexander
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:06 am »
You are aware that all bronzes of Alexander in 222 are rare?

Yes indeed.  But I was not aware that the scarcity extended back to the reign of Septimius.  Thanks for the info.

Bob
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity