Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

RIC Numbers

<< < (2/3) > >>

Groover:
Thanks for all the great replies! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if the RIC number might not specify a single coin, then what is the use of the RIC numbers? Why do people use them?

Groover

maridvnvm:
For early coinage you can use RIC to provide a unique RIC Id with a combination of RIC Volume, Emperor, RIC Id. Later coinage will be unique RIC Volume, Emperor, RIC Id and the addition of Officina. The Probus coins for example would be represented as RIC Volume, Emperor, RIC Id and the addition of Bust Type.

Regards,
Maridvnvm

maridvnvm:
Let me give you some examples. I have taken the libery of using some of the coins from the Forum catalog as examples here.

This coin is attributed as RIC Vol III, Antoninus Pius, RIC 229a

This coin is attributed as RIC Vol V part 2, Probus, RIC 925 Bust Type C

This coin is attributed as RIC Vol VI, Maxentius, Aquilea, RIC 121a, Officina S

I hope this helps,
Maridvnvm

Groover:
Thanks!

So it seems to me that to be able to make use of the numbers properly, I need a copy of the relevant volume of the RIC, otherwise I might be omitting information or getting it plain wrong.

Groover

maridvnvm:
Not really. I only have a couple of volumes but have learned over time how to use the number properly.
Typically people do not use the full id. For the Ant.Pius above, RIC 229a is sufficient as a reference as people who understand the reference will infer the rest of the information.
Maridvnvm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version