Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Group of Byzantine Seals

(1/1)

Joe Sermarini:
I am currently working on a group of lead objects, mostly Byzantine seals.  The seals are not in great shape and mostly or all low value.  If you would like to see them, click the link below:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1850&pos=1

I find that working with Byzantine Seals is extremely difficult.  I have a pile of references for them but almost never find a match.  Because I really don't know where to start, using the references usually means aimlessly flipping through thousands of pages.  If anyone has any advice or hints please let me know. 

If you look at the seals on the linked page and can assist with the description, dating, attribution or references for any of the seals, please let me know.  I will be greatful for any assistance.  I would offer Forum bucks for help but I don't think there is much money to be made on these.  Thanks. 

Vladislav D:
Third from the top (BZ53337. Lead tessera, weight 2.640 g, maximum diameter 12.6 mm ) look like crusader token Acre
Mitchiner 2432 -2433 .

Joe Sermarini:
Definitely looks related at least.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version