Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

New Style Athenian Tets - Discussions and Resources

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carausius:
Is the 1961 Thompson article on New Styles available in monograph form? 

cicerokid:
Yes in a  2 volume book. The New Style silver coinage of Athens", Thompson, Margaret.  ANS 10,  New York 1961

I don't think it has ever been reprinted since 1961.

I obtained it through the British lending library. ( It is in 2 volumes Vol 1 text, Vol 2 Plates).

The publishers, the ANS, do not offer a download. Why I cannot fathom.

Copies are rare and expensive.

Even though it's dating was quickly and convincingly found to be erroneous, generally its sequencing more or less survives intact.

From time to time articles are written and a portion of, maybe, a new, amended portion of the sequencing appears ( Meadows: Thasos- New Style) or a part of the original sequence is just reproduced ( Meadows: Gazientap hoard)

As above all I did was collate what I could find and alter the original list.

I know that someone is working on the Pontic- Mithradatic times sequence and may publish their work in time.

(My actual list contains the die- links & types information which is vitally important but does not transfer)

Cic

Carausius:
Thanks! When I see citations referring to "ANS", I generally assume it is an ANS annual journal article.

cicerokid:
This is actually what the top of my list looks like complete with die links and types.

It also has shaded areas  where the "old catalogue" is split into Thompson's 3 catagories of early.middle early and late early.

cicerokid:

In Thompson there was some doubt cast upon the :Greek_Gamma: on the amphora of the cicada series. Various authors had said  :Greek_epsilon: or  :Greek_Gamma:?. Thompson herself thought  :Greek_Gamma: and gave the Obverse as T 66.

This specimen on NumismatikLanz daily auctions is, despite the corosion obverse T66 and there is no doubt of the  :Greek_Gamma: on the amphora. CONFIRMED

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version