Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetrobol, Massalia  (Read 2920 times)

jc

Tetrobol, Massalia
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:05:07 am »
Hello.

Tetrobol, Massalia 200 BC, 15mm, 2.86gr.

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Tetrobol, Massalia
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:12 am »
Hi jc,

I don't know what exactly you want to comment, i can only say these:

Massalia is a Greek city founded by Phokaians around 600 BC, these coins are often attributed as Greek coins, they bear Greek legends and Greek symbols.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille

Obverse: Draped bust of Artemis right, wearing stephane, bow and quiver over shoulder
Reverse: MAΣΣΑΛΙΗΤΩΝ, Lion standing right, forepaw raised, A between hind legs, H below belly

A similar to yours here,same monograms on reverse
http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=450413

Best regards

jc

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:42:55 am »
Thanks for the reference Rover, you are entirely right. What is your opinion about the style? Sear will be the 77th?

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
What is your opinion about the style? Sear will be the 77th?

You are welcome jc.

Yes, i think it is a variety of Sear's 77.
Simply, yours have different monograms and somewhat cruder than Sear's plate example style. But yes, the type is Sear 77.

jc

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:57:38 am »
Again, thanks for the help Rover. The images are not the best, and I thought it could raise doubts about the authenticity.
  Sorry, the topic was inadvertently repeated, I do not have much experience here, and I can not erase the surplus, I hope the moderator can do that.

Best regards

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:54 am »
Again, thanks for the help Rover. The images are not the best, and I thought it could raise doubts about the authenticity.

I know what you mean, i also see the obverse to be a little bit soft, but i think this is because the image is actually a scan and not a real photo,am i right?

jc

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:12:00 am »
Exactly, an image scan.

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
Then, i should not worry about this one. Looks fine to me.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity