Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Finally, a good one! Mac-Dia, Marcianopolis, Apollo of Lykeios type  (Read 1993 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
It's not that I don't have a MacDia Apollo Lykeios, but one of you saw and recommended this one to me, and I am very glad to have acted immediately.  It came ready-identified, but I suspect that some other die combinations will turn up.  The statuary type of Apollo known from the original in the Lyceum (Lykeion) in Athens, reportedly the work of Praxiteles, was wildly popular and numerous replicas and variants exist.  But Marcianopolis had one of them; a relief with this Apollo type was found there and can be seen in the Archaeological Museum in Sofia, and every reign, every governor within each reign, at Marcianopolis, starting with Auspex, issued a coin of the type.  There are also coins showing it in a tetrastyle naos.  This one, as often for Macrinus and Diadumenian, is one of the loveliest.  I am utterly delighted with it.  In Hristova & Jekov, Marcianopolis, Apollo's number is 7, so you can start with Auspex's Septimius, 6.14.7.1, on p. 27 and go straight through the book from there.  The Pick reference is AMNG I, 1, 726, but, as the seller noted, the obverse legend ends differently.  This one has, IMHO, a very elegant obverse.
Pat L.
CLICK!

Note: Yes, there are traces of the E straddling the crack on the reverse of my coin, so that, yes, the reverse die is the same as on Bacchus's first one, though the obv. is different.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Finally, a good one! Mac-Dia, Marcianopolis, Apollo of Lykeios type
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:31:44 am »
That is a coin worth seeing.  Thanks for posting it.

The right hand on the head looks very elegant and follows the dynamic curve of the body up the legs and outthrust hip, around that arm and down the other arm to the bow.  I am intrigued by that hand placement, though.  It is sometimes seen in Securitas on Imperial coins, where presumably it is meant as part of a relaxed pose, and in this scene, relaxation does not seem appropriate.

This one seems to be a cross between Securitas and the Lykeios.  It is an Imperial Apollo on a denarius of Commodus, with Apollo very relaxed, leaning on a column, legs crossed, and hand on head.  It has none of the wiry energy of your coin, though!

(This is an unusual Apollo - APOL MONET, Apollo as a foreteller or advisor.)
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:41:02 am »
By my reckoning there are now 5 different types of Macrinus - Diadumenian  Apollo Lykeios reverses of which I have only 3.

1 - MAR5.5a
Size (mm)  26
Weight (g)  14.06
Governor  P. Fu. Pontianus
Ob. LegAVT K OΠEΛ CEV MAKPINOC K M OΠE ANTΩNINO/C
Ob. Desc.  Laureate head of Macrinus r. facing bare head of Diadumenian l.
Rev. Leg.  VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN
Apollo (Lykeios pose) naked, standing, his right hand is over his head, in his left hand is holding a bow; next to him – serpent entwined trunk. E to centre left

2 - MAR5.5b
Size (mm)  27
Weight (g)  11.48
Die Axis  0o
Ob. LegAVT K OΠEΛ CEV MAKPINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC
Rev. Desc.  Apollo (Lykeios pose) naked, standing, his right hand is over his head, in his left hand is holding a bow; next to him – serpent entwined trunk. E to centre left

3 -Mar5.5c
Size (mm)  28
Weight (g)  -
Die Axis  -
Ob. Leg.  AV K OΠEΛ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC
Rev. Desc.  Apollo (Lykeios pose) naked, standing, his right hand is over his head, in his left hand is holding a bow; next to him – serpent entwined trunk. E to centre left

4. MAR5.5d
Size (mm)  26
Weight (g)  12.22
Die Axis  0o
Ob. LegAVT K OΠEΛΛI CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛΛI ANTΩNEINOC
Meaning  Imperator Caesar, Opellius Severus Macrinus, Caesar, Marcus Opellius Antonius

Your's seems to be a new varient.  Nice coin

Malcolm

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:07:13 am »
It is a beautiful example with a patina that enhances it tremendously.  Congrats!

Best, Noah

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:48:01 am »
A lovely coin!  Greek and roman gods and their myths make for fascinating reverses.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »
Moonmoth: I have wondered about that Apollo Moneta of Commodus pose ever since first seeing it on Doug Smith's AGRC site.  The question is, why is it Apollonian to have the hand on the head that way?  There are some variants, on coins and in marble, where Apollo is pulling an arrow from a quiver, but more usually it's just the hand on head—what Sir Kenneth Clark called, not without reason, 'pathetic'.  Here 'pathetic' means 'passive', the opposite to 'active' or 'positive', rather than pitiable.  In Greek, the Passive Voice is called pathetikos.  It could mean sexually feminine, but I don't think it does for Apollo, no matter what folks think of his hairdo, etc.  Frankly, I think you have it dead right: it stretches out the body beautifully, compositionally as well as physically beautifully.  Thing is, Praxiteles loved doing that.  And, evidently, everyone (well, almost everyone) liked the effect.  I have posted before the Louvre Dionysos with his arm up this way (wearing only the filmiest of garments).  There is a fragment in the Athens NAM with a different kind of head and the opposite hand resting on the top of the head.  And if the Emperor likes it, you can be sure he can have the 'extended' motif for a Rome statue of Apollo Moneta.  At some point, I suspect, both the crossed legs and the hand on head ceased to have specific implied meanings.
Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 02:11:26 am »
Obverse die matches for my coin:
The wonderful frontal standing Zeus and the River god shown here are two coins that I'm sure have the requisite faces, the little triangle at 6h, the drapery lines, and the obverse legend ending with KAI for Diadumenian.  Here they are from my old, original scans.
Pat L.
The Lykeios and Zeus reverses look as if they were made to go with it.
The Hermes reverse Pick 742 will go with these, but the specimen I have is too grubby to be sure whether I have the right one.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:50 am »
That Zeus is one of the nicest I've ever seen, and combined with that obverse die, it is an absolutely wonderful coin!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:55 am »

Well, I have to reply and say, what a wonderful example you have obtained Dr. Lawrence - always the eye for the interesting and beautiful.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity