Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dwarf from Zagazig  (Read 8576 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Dwarf from Zagazig
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:32:49 am »
This little dwarf (or is it a cat?) from Zagazig in Egypt stands 48mm high. It dates from 300 BC to 100 AD. It was made in two halves and joined together, so it is hollow.

It has a built-in provenance: on the back is written in indian ink "Lwrnc 1898 P2129". Presumably Lwrnc stands for Lawrence. Although the famous TE Lawrence did excavate in Egypt, I don't think the time-frame would be right for him. Can anyone identify this Lawrence?

Here is the background information:

ZAGAZIG, the modern name for the ancient city of Bubastis on the Nile Delta which was the site of a great sanctuary of Bast which flourished from the 9th century BC. In Histories (Bk II), the Greek historian Herodotus described the annual festival of the goddess, whom he equated with the Greek goddess Artemis; this was an occasion for drunken and licentious revelry which he estimated attracted over 700,000 people. Excavations have uncovered large cat cemeteries in the vicinity, containing many mummified cats and cat figurines, perhaps dedicated to Bast during the festival. Images of the cat goddess sometimes show her as a cat-headed woman in a clinging dress, and her sacred animal, for which the Egyptians seem to have had a particular fondness, is shown serenely seated, sometimes nursing or accompanied by kittens; such images include some of the most charmingly naturalistic works of ancient Egyptian sculpture.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Dwarf from Zagazig
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:20:17 pm »
don't know who this Lawrence was, but the statue looks like a later, stylized version of 'Bes'.

i have a similar terracotta statue of Harpocrates, and i think these were very typical in Egypt during the Roman era. i believe they were originally sold as inexpensive votive offerings, possibly to travelers or pilgrims.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity