Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magnentius / Fake ?  (Read 1189 times)

MIROSLAW PATKOWSKI

Magnentius / Fake ?
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:33:50 pm »
Hi , Need opinion about this coin - Best - Martin

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Magnentius / Fake ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:44 am »
Hi Martin,

You should post this coin/question under the "Fake Ancient Coin Reports and Discussion" category.

Best,
Mark Z.

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »
Looks ok to me - I had trouble getting a nice zoom on the reverse though - style looks official.

MIROSLAW PATKOWSKI

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:28 pm »
Larger Scan .

MIROSLAW PATKOWSKI

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:25:35 pm »
Hmmmm , I'm doin' something wrong - O.K reverse legend is  VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMANOR - I can't find bronze Magnentius with this type of legend , only Solidus .......M.

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:11:58 am »
Looks ok to me from the image.  Here is another one that I have.  Listed in Failmezger as #448, Rome, (RR).  Seems to be less common (or commonly offered) than the gold version from Trier.  I, too, would really like to see a larger image of Miroslaw's reverse, especially the mint mark (since the coin illustrated in Failmezger is in very poor condition).  Perhaps this whole thing should be returned to the Roman Coin board.  Regards, George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:42:08 am »
Definitely a rare type: only ten specimens known to Bastien, Monnayage de Magnence, nos. 435-42, from six different officinae, RP, RB, RT, RQ, RE, and RS.
Curtis Clay

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:57 pm »
Thank you, Curtis!  I have often wondered about this one.  It seems the whole of the Roman mint was busy churning these things out, and poof! where did they go?  Regards, George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

MIROSLAW PATKOWSKI

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »
Hi , Thank You for info  . well I lost this coin . My bid  157 $ v/s 270 $ winning bid ( oldromans )  - Best - Miroslaw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity