Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

How do you deal with thickly patinated coins.

(1/1)

Carolus Magnus:
You know the ones I mean, the patina is so thick it obscures the ledgend, the portrait, the reverse, everything. No amount of soaking will help, as all the dirt is already gone. What is the next step for this type? Do you leave the coin as is, or do you remove the patina, and re-patinate. I guess I am looking for a consensus here.

Regards

Chuck T

black-prophet:
Please leave the patina, as this on it's own is a thing of beauty.The attribution becomes secondary at this point imho.

slokind:
Yes, keep it as evidence for how thick natural patina can be.  Find another specimen of the same or a very similar coin, or a photo of one, to set beside it.  Pat L.
P.S. It might be a candidate for "my" thread begun with evidence for patinas: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34358.0

Carolus Magnus:
I like your idea Pat, I would be afraid to strip a coin like this, would reveal a badly pitted mess. I think I would rather not take that chance................................CT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version