Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: If you could Time Travel back to 150 Ad...what would you take coins..and all?  (Read 8027 times)

basemetal

By that I mean no laser pointers...no obvious stuff that would mark you as either from the future or a barbarian devil to be killed....just stuff appropriate to the era from this one?  Think on it...oh yes..you can take your coins...:)

basemetal

And no post 150 AD coins...that would make you a shaman, witch, soothsayer, ect.

basemetal

You can take your knowledge....know how an airplane flies?....Got a really good idea about the Phillips screwdriver...that's ok...

basemetal

One more thing then I'll hush...Antonius Pius was in power then...a calm peaceful time.....

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
You couldn't make me go.  I love running water, refrigrators, modern medicine (I wouldn't have lived past 22 without it), and modern transportation too much!

If I was to go, I would get a lot of training in hand to hand combat and the use of a short sword before going!

What would I take, silver and gold.  Good walking shoes (lots of pairs).  Clean underware and toothbushes!

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Hi Basemetal
I would go there and "invent" bicycle, just to show off and make business, make money (hopefully amphitheatre sestertii  ;) , I mean lot of them)

Regards
Potator

Nico Creces

Let's see, I would take some automatic weapons with lots of ammo with me and I'm sure I would be mentioned in the history books as the "alien emperor" who succeded Antoninus Pius ;D.
Nico

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
What I'd do would depend entirely on whether or not I could get back.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

virtvsprobi

What I'd do would depend entirely on whether or not I could get back.

Ditto! ;D

However, I'd like to travel to a different date and warn someone not to go to a certain place at a certain time... and I'm not talking about Julius!

that would mark you as either from the future

Do you think they would  even have such a concept? They'd just think "wizard" or "god".
Time travel is a relatively modern idea. I think we have a rather different perception of time than the ancients.

G/<

P.S. First of all I'd start studying Classical Greek and Latin. Then, once there, I would have to learn the actual local pronunciation.
I would take a boxful of matches and become the second Prometheus! Heheheheh!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
I'd have to take some chocolate (preferably Whitman's) and enough Twinings English breakfast tea to get me through my visit. I have to have my tea everday.  :tongue:

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Tea... no. I would have to become a god through teaching Romulus and Remus the wonders of straight black coffee.

Evan

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Hmm...If I'm not careful, I may bring to them some germ that they have never had exposure to and rewrite ancient history...

basemetal

What a fantastic post....er...ah..thanks Basemetal.....
I loved the chocolate idea...and the bicycle.  the roman legions advanced today with the elite troops on the two-wheeled oxless carts that hold themselve up by magic invented by ....
This may be the place to mention this.  We...well you guys have such talent(s). Has anyone considered an alternate future post site that might showcase the writing talents of some of the members.  No, I don't mean me. I did that once with Zam about his son , he never replied and I felt that he was embarrased. but in spite of the older, stogier members, would that not be entertaining and instructive.
As the fictional Maximus in "Gladiator" said "Are you not entertained?"
Before you flame me...think on it. 
"In the late roman empire...a greek physician discovered that injecting victims of the "pox" with the pus of victims who had contracted it seemed to prevent the injected person from getting the dreaded "pox" (which we now know as smallpox) from there Roman history took quite a different turn.

basemetal

sseverus:
I've thought long and hard on the "If only they'd had pistols" aspect of alternate futures.  I am a vetran and still like to collect and shoot military-style firearms.  Remember, the gun is only the bullet's way of having a purpose. I've actually done crude studies of what it would take to take over, say the empire of Commodus.  The Praetorain guard numbered in the low thousands. All scattered-in spite of what you read about a "common camp"
 In spite of our magic weapons, and our knowledge, we would be in their time.
Ammo eventually runs out.  Ok, you've got the magic stargate toilet flush link.  Future cause and effect. What you do in ancient Rome affects the future.  Your magic link to the future is changed by events in the past.   Would it still be there?  Remember the butterfly effect.
In the short term you'd have a bunch of tough ready combat troopers that would make the average roman soldier cut and run after the first burst of automatic weapons fire.
 And you'd likely take over Rome.  Got aircraft...runways..oh helios...yes..they need fuel and
maintenance...and ammo. Remember you are not just going over to the Middle East...you are going into the past. As soon as you changed history, that portal would cease to exist..meaning your supply source.   Bribe the Praetorians.?  Well add a bunch of gold to your gear. 
Magical medical expertise?  How much pennicillin can you pack..actually this might be your strongest weapon.  Infection usually killed the majority back then..tho arguably other maladys did as much.
All interesting speculation..which is why I mentioned the alternate future contribution site. 

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Tea... no. I would have to become a god through teaching Romulus and Remus the wonders of straight black coffee.

Evan

I think black coffee would curl their hair!

"show me that I'm everywhere and get me home for tea" - George Harrison

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
What position do you occupy with your modern firearms? Fortify yourself in a building? The Romans could set fire to it. Out in the open? You could be picked off by ballistae behind pavises so you would have trouble picking off the crew. I think taking over the empire with modern weaponry would be a great deal harder than we would like to believe. ;) Leaving aside all the valid supply and logistics issues.
Personally I'd get roaringly drunk at some rich Apicius followers domus, stuff myself stupid with the food, try and seduce a couple of noblewomen, narrowly avoid arrest for gross indecency, grab hold of some gorgeous bronze statue of Victoria, press the "Return" button and hope like Hades the statue comes with me.
                                                          LordBest. 8)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Personally I'd get roaringly drunk at some rich Apicius followers domus, stuff myself stupid with the food, try and seduce a couple of noblewomen, narrowly avoid arrest for gross indecency, grab hold of some gorgeous bronze statue of Victoria, press the "Return" button and hope like Hades the statue comes with me.

A great master plan!  ;D
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian

On a week day, yes,  but what about the weekend when you can let yourself go a bit  8)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
On a more serious note, though I suspect one of the difficult issues to overcome (assuming you had perfect Latin or could pass yourself off as a legitimate foreigner - were there secret police who would watch non-Roman citizens who weren't slaves in case of sedition?) would be the transposition of values. 

Today, I would hope, we would look upon the caual brutality with horror - torture, slavery, mutilition etc.  Could we react "normally" when faced with this? 

The unfortunate side is that we would probably adjust quite quickly.  Psychological experiments where volunteers were given the roles of prisoners and gaolers seem to suggest the nasty side can come out easily once the shackels of "civilisation" are off.

Malcolm

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Quote from: Bacchus on February 06, 2006, 03:51:35 am

On a week day, yes,  but what about the weekend when you can let yourself go a bit  8)

I'd say, but Joe says we have to keep the Forvms clean. 8)
                                                   LordBest. 8)

jbaran

LB, it's nice to see that you haven't mellowed with age...your posts of late have lacked the "color" they had when I first joined the boards...I remember in particular one about a sheep pen ;)  and there was that one about Roman food.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
If I couldn't get back I'd want an excellent knowledge of Latin and Koine, handguns and ample ammunition for personal defence (I wouldn't want any empires), a good quantity of gold and some simple inventions. The moveable frame beehive would do fine, along with a design for a basic honey extractor. Possibly antibiotics, but I can get a natural version from the hives so maybe it's not so important.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

exquisiteoaf

This is an amusing scenario. But in reality, I don't think it would be very possible to live amongst people of the era without arousing attention in some way due to even the smallest thing you'd inadvertently due differently from the social norms of the time.

I think perhaps the best course of action would be to pretend you're an illiterate low-class sort of person, maybe even acting like you were mentally impaired, deaf, etc. That way, any social indescretions you accidentally committed would (possibly) be more easily accepted. Of course, your life as such a person wouldn't probably be that great, and you might not enjoy it that much...but that's the moment where you steal the bag of denarii under the village rich guy's bed and use your time machine to zap back to our modern era.

Mike

basemetal

As I've stated before, except in certain cases of the very old, or very young of the same cultural group,
the odd, mentlly infirm, deformed or "different" were the objects of cruelty.
Of all the above posts I've read, except when going back in overwhelming military force with the ability of resupply, the language barrier, would be both the giveaway, and the downfall.  Lower classes didn't just walk up and "chat" with the upper class.  And think of the vernacular.  Imagine going into the Roman hood from the future all packed up with "knowledge" of early 21st century linguistics. 
"I say Homily, are you dismissing me?  I feel I must tell you that if you disparge me once again I shall have to discharge a primer-tipped projectile against your lower extremities"
One idea: Talk to no one...dress like the locals and take an easily concealed digital cam.  Take pictures of the Forum, the Flavian Amphitheatre, the Temple of Jupiter, the newly completed Mausolieum of Hadrian, and go back to the future and live in fame and/or luxury from the sale of your pictures.  Take lots of 'em from dfferent angles.  That is if you can do it without attracting attention.  Then you might get to experience great visuals of the Mammertine first hand.

ian77

What an interesting topic!

Here is my 2 cents....

Before hopping in the Delorean, I would have very detailed sets of maps of Europe and Africa and Asia made, topographic, political, agricultural etc.   I would also have a few extra sets for trade. I cant imagine they had very good topographical maps of the continent back then.    I would also have maps made of the entire globe (ie with the Americas) just in case it should ever prove to be an interesting thing to have.

I would also bring a set of maps that was written in code that details all of the gold, silver and copper mines that were discovered after 150 AD. Not that I would plan on being a prospector, but, it might prove very advantageous to share such info when the time is right.

I might also try to share the idea of forks and spoons, just for fun.

Just a few thoughts.....great topic!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity