Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Schulzki

(1/1)

Pscipio:
Does anybody know SCHULZKI, H.-J.: Die Antoninianprägung der gallischen Kaiser von Postumus bis Tetricus (AGK). Typenkatalog der regulären und nachgeprägten Münzen? If so, what's your impression about it? Would it be a usefull acquisition?

Lars

curtislclay:
      This is not my field, but my Swiss friend Marcus Weder from Pratteln near Basel wrote something like a 60-page review of Schulzki, divided between two issues of the Swiss Numismatic Review.     
       According to Weder, the book is a total disaster.  Scientifically backwards, not taking notice of the great advances of Besly and Bland in the Cunetio hoard report.  Listing huge numbers of false or misreported coins, and omitting many known genuine ones.
       One thing that rubs me the wrong way is an author apparently so sure he has written a standard work that he tells you what abbreviation to use for it (AGK) in the title!

Pscipio:
Thank you for your quick response, Curtis. Good to know about this book, so I better stay away from it.

Is this Marcus Weder who is working on a monograph about the gallic empire mints? I remember you once mentioned a Swiss friend in the german forum. By the way, Pratteln is, at least in US-standards, not far away from my home, just some two hours by train.

Yours
Lars

curtislclay:
      Yes, Marcus Weder is the author of that still unpublished monograph.
      One of the high points of his review of Schulzki:  his rehabilitation of the original antoninianus of Domitianus as unquestionably authentic, BEFORE that coin itself had been rediscovered in the museum and transferred to Paris, and BEFORE the appearance of the second specimen from the same die pair in the British hoard!

Pscipio:
Is there already a approximate date, when Marcus will publish his monograph?

Lars

PS: one of those two Domitianus Ants would perfectly fit into my collection...  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version