Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman coins overstruck by Spain  (Read 867 times)

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Roman coins overstruck by Spain
« on: September 30, 2022, 01:42:47 pm »

These two Late Roman bronze coins seem to have been countermarked as 4 maravedis --IIII with a crown over the top.  I am not exactly sure when these coins were re-introduced, but I have seen similar struck in the 1600's under Philip IV of Spain; so over a thousand years later and these two coins were circulating again.

Gallienus
A.D. 260- 268
Ӕ Antoninianus
20x21mm    3.0g
GALLIENVS AVG; radiate head right.
SECVRIT PERPET; Securitas standing facing, head left, leaning on column to right and holding scepter H in right field.
RIC IV Rome 280

Constantine I
A.D. 312- 313
22mm   4.1g
IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG laureate, draped, seen from the rear.
SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI  Legionary eagle (to the left) between two vexilla, that on left surmounted by a right hand, that on right by a wreath; flag on the eagle.
in ex R S   
RIC VI Rome 348
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Roman coins overstruck by Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 04:13:59 pm »
Cool !

Clueless

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 09:32:53 pm »
Blows me away that a coin would be overstruck 1,000 years later. Amazing.

Virgil

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 01:03:36 am »
Yes, these are some of my most cherished.  ;D
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 05:26:11 am »
Hi VC,

Nice coins! :)

And an interesting historical context also.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 05:36:28 am »
Blows me away that a coin would be overstruck 1,000 years later. Amazing.

Virgil

Hi VH,

I once came across a silver denarius of Augustus (the common type with Gaius and Lucius on the reverse) that had been countermarked with a lily. The dealer claimed that it was applied in Royal France. I almost purchased it. Obviously, if that claim was true, that countermark was applied well over 1,000 years later.

The dealer even speculated that that specimen was once owned by a member of the French Royal Family.

That specimen was one of the nicest examples of that type that I have ever seen. It was in choice XF condition. It was absolutely beautiful. Thus, it makes sense that a member of the French Royal Family would have owned it.

Meepzorp

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 06:15:31 am »
Very interesting. Has anyone already written about these Roman coins countermarked as maravedis?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 01:31:37 pm »
I don't know how much has been written about Roman coins countermarked by Spain; but here is a bronze coin of Domitian (81-96AD) that was countermarked in 1636 during the monetary reform of Philip IV. From the book by Blanchet, Sur la chronologie Atablie par les contremarques (1907).

Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 05:03:59 pm »
Very nice. 

Several French authors have written about Roman coins used in 18th-19th century France - generally sestertii, dupondii and asses - but I have never seen images of them. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 06:23:28 pm »

Coins struck under Constantine the Great were still in circulation in remote places of southern France during Napoleon III. (1852-1870).

Friedensburg, Die Munze in der Kulturgeschichte, pg. 3
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 08:24:05 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 01, 2022, 05:36:28 am
I once came across a silver denarius of Augustus (the common type with Gaius and Lucius on the reverse) that had been countermarked with a lily. The dealer claimed that it was applied in Royal France. I almost purchased it. Obviously, if that claim was true, that countermark was applied well over 1,000 years later.

The dealer even speculated that that specimen was once owned by a member of the French Royal Family.

What Meep is referring to above would be a collector mark, not a countermark.  A countermark is a governmental mark to identify a coin as legal tender.  A collector mark is private mark of ownership, akin to branding. My coin below has on obverse a fleur-de-lis mark and an India ink "2" which is certainly a collection number of some kind.  These are collector marks, not government countermarks.  But indeed, applied well over a thousand years after circulation of the coin.  I wish I knew who applied them.  If anyone has any clues, please share!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity