Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

SC 285

(1/1)

Molinari:
Does anyone have an image of SC 285--it is a bronze unit with a butting bull on obverse and anchor on reverse, attributed to Seleukos I Nikator.  Preferably one I can publish! HGC 9, 90.

Nick

Molinari:

--- Quote from: Molinari on September 10, 2022, 12:13:55 pm ---Does anyone have an image of SC 285--it is a bronze unit with a butting bull on obverse and anchor on reverse, attributed to Seleukos I Nikator.  Preferably one I can publish! HGC 9, 90.

Nick

--- End quote ---

I'm in touch now with one of the author's of SC so I should have this one soon!

Anaximander:
That Hoover's HGC 9 #90 doesn't have a photo of the coin isn't a shock.  However, that Seleucid Coins draws a blank (on the photo) is a surprise.  There is no photo for SC 285 on |SCO or in their print hardcopy.  And I'm not finding any reference to Newell, anything in SNG Spaer, or anything on acsearch.info. Another surprise.  That's some kind of rarity.

Molinari:
It wasn’t on the ANS database of Seleukid coins either! However, I was able to find SC 284 in Brian Kritt’s  2015 book New Discoveries.  He reproduces a photo from P. Bernard’s 1985 reports on Ai Khanoum. Here it is attached.  What interests me is that this mint used both regular bull and man-faced bull iconography, and that changeover is found at other mints.

Molinari:
The difference between 284 and 285 is that 284 is anepigraphic, just like the man-faced bull variety (SC 283a). So 284 turned out to be even better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version