Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Diego G

• Praetorian
Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?
« on: August 15, 2022, 04:12:21 pm »

Hello, I would like an opinion on this coin, weight and size are correct. Thanks

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 04:38:11 pm »
Looks fine to me, but the pictures are very small

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 07:39:32 am »
Why do you suspect it is not legitimate? 

Offline Diego G

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 09:29:20 am »
The only thing would be the circle formed around the eagle, but was that due to an off-center strike? On the obverse it appears to have an "F" inscribed, is it a banker's mark?

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 06:25:25 am »

I’ve looked at hundreds, maybe thousands, of MALs in building my collection over roughly the last year so I’ll join in. Clearer photos would help, but based on these I think the coin is legit.  The reverse legend does appear higher and closer to the eagle than typical, but that kind of variation is pretty common. The wear appears normal/honest. It appears to show 3 banker’s marks, or perhaps 2 banker’s marks and a counter stamped F. The V and crescent marks are fairly commonly seen.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity