Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Horseman type  (Read 568 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Horseman type
« on: July 22, 2022, 03:13:53 am »
Hello,

Im looking at FEL TEMP REPARATIO coins and FH3 or FH4 looks obsolete. Do you agree that some coins have horseman with no beard for example? Look at this coin of Constantius II with mark CONS :Greek_Theta: :dot: RIC VIII 135, FH3. In any case FH3 or FH4 the horseman should be bearded or wearing cap. The coin shows no beard and no cap.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: Horseman type
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 08:09:25 am »
The coin shows no beard and no cap.

You need a coin in really good condition to say with certainty that there is no such detail on it.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 11:30:16 am »
We can see the jaw line and after it the surface is smooth. I think there would be some rest of beards if she was present.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 05:04:11 pm »
The division into FH1 - FH4 in RIC and LRBC is unsatisfactory.

There are actually several factors at play - position of rider, beard/no beard, headgear, clothing etc. 

There are several ways to divide this up.

In my book, and the slightly earlier Koinon article dedicated to the FTR type, I discuss the different approaches and offer a modified system that uses A-C for overall position of the fallen horseman, modified by i-iii for clothing/beard status, and I provide a chart summarizing known variations by Mint and Series.

The Koinon article can be found for free here:

https://www.academia.edu/44549791/Back_in_the_saddle_again_a_re_examination_of_the_FEL_TEMP_REPARATIO_Falling_horseman_type

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:31:04 am »
Nice SC!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity