Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Lead Tessera Zeus-Serapis Caesarea Maritima Mystery

<< < (2/3) > >>

v-drome:
P.S. Here is a link to my tessera gallery if anyone is interested.  I have a few more to add but most of the leftovers are in pretty rough shape.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5157

Meepzorp:

--- Quote from: v-drome on July 07, 2022, 08:18:06 pm ---The link Altamura provided shows Salus in a similar stance to the lines on my reverse, but unless we come up with another example from the same die it will be hard to be certain.  My tessera is so small and worn that if the light is coming from certain angles there doesn't appear to be anything at all...

--- End quote ---

Hi v-d,

After studying it for a while, I see what you and Alta are referring to. The reverse figure is certainly highly abstract/stylized.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp:
Hi v-d,

You have an amazing and comprehensive collection of tesserae. I never knew that so many different types existed.

I purchased mine as a "curiosity piece". It was something "different" to add to my collection.

Meepzorp

Aleph:
Hi v-drome,
We’re these all finds that you or someone you know made?  These are very cool, but a real rarity to see in the trade!
Kevin

v-drome:
Hi, Kevin.  All of these tesserae were found by me and my family when I was growing up near Caesarea in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  Prior to 1978, it was legal to collect surface finds from the dunes and beaches in Israel, and it was common after windstorms to see entire families out on the sand looking for coins and artifacts.  In 2008 the law was changed once again to clarify ownership of these early finds, with the expectation that it would encourage the publication of these private collections, some of which were very extensive.  Having access to the materials and experts here at Forum Ancient Coins has been immensely helpful to me in trying to fulfill this, in my opinion, sacred obligation.  The collection is all the more significant in that all the finds are of a known provenance at a single historically important site.  These very tiny, not so glamorous lead pieces have been mostly overlooked, but I know of at least one other very large assemblage of them in Israel, and I am hoping eventually to see our efforts combined into a scholarly report that should be very interesting!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version