Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Old Seal Angel w/Sword?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Large Old Seal Angel w/Sword?
« on: June 23, 2022, 01:56:52 pm »
Hello Everyone! I hope that you're enjoying your day... here we have a large 30+mm what I think is a Seal, which has a large Angel brandishing a sword, similar to the Caliph with Sword coins? Greek legend on the reverse probably tells its story, but I don't know enough to string together something coheremt... any help would be truly apprecited. Thank You.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Large Old Seal Angel w/Sword?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:18:17 pm »
I just stumbled on a similar seal in Jordanov, I. Corpus of Byzantine Seals from Bulgaria. (Sofia, 2003), p. 70, 67, dated 13th  - 14th century, found in Sophia. The figure is described as St. Michael, nimbate and winged, standing facing, wearing cuirass, short chiton and military chlamys, sword in right hand on shoulder, sheath in left hand (sword and sheath reversed on yours).  The reverse is, like yours, the official's name and titles. I am sure it is not the same as yours. But I think the obverse description and like the date will be a useful start for you. Unless you can read the reverse, you might not be able to get much farther.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Re: Large Old Seal Angel w/Sword?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:58:26 pm »
Thank You, Joe! That's a surprise; as usual I was thinking of a different part of the world...
Thank You for this site

All coins are guaranteed for eternity