Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Licinius II coin - need help to further identify it  (Read 516 times)

Offline Asger C

• Auxiliary
Licinius II coin - need help to further identify it
« on: June 03, 2022, 03:09:23 pm »
Hi
So my father got this "Licinius II" coin from a reputable Swedish coin dealer. The coin dealer was convinced it was unique.
My father has not been able to find this in any books.

It has been mounted in some way and at some point "repared".

Weight 5 grams
Diameter 2,5 cm

Metal: My father believes it is Bronze, but I am not certain it is not Silver?

After having asked some people, this is the legend that is thought to hold water:

Obverse: LICINIVS IVN NOB CAESAR

ReverseVOTA ORBIS ET VRBIS SEN ET P R

Mint mark: T <unknown due to repair> B

Some emperors with similar reverses are found: Crispus, Constantinus II

Constantinus the II also have a similar obverse.

Can anyone help with anything

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: Licinius II coin - need help to further identify it
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 03:32:13 pm »
Seems to be very rare unlisted silver medallion from Thessalonica (mintmark is  :dot: TS :dot: B :dot: ). Probably belongs to the group of coins with similar reverses (also unlisted in RIC).

The last one was just few days ago sold for 60,000 CHF

It is interesting that every Caesar has his "own" different bust type.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 08:28:43 am »
What a wonderful piece!

I wonder if it was a Swedish find?  "Barbarian silver"???

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 11:03:43 am »
Please congratulate your father for his purchase! He got himself a unique silver medallion, one of only 13 known of the  VOTA ORBIS ET VRBIS SEN ET P R type.

Of the 13 examples seven are holed, two of them twice (one is your father's). I attach an image of the other one.

The group is enigmatic. They were produced between 317 and 320, but we don't know exactly when or why.  Only three mints struck the type: Aquileia, Siscia and Thessalonika. We know that Constantine travelled up and down the Via Militaris across the Balkans during this time, and these silver pieces were probably donatives struck when he resided in the minting cities. At the same time, in the same mints, uniface gold medallions were also produced. They were intended as gifts (read: bribes) to "barbarian" chieftains or similar to. keep them calm. The fact that so many of these silver "medallions" are holed may indicate that they also were intended for the "barbarians" (who would wear them as status symbols around the neck). Hopefully I will be able to write a paper on this later.

Again, a nice find! Please make sure to take some detailed photos and post somewhere. Actual specimens may disappear, but a photo once posted stays on.

/Lars Ramskold

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 02:54:49 pm »
Of the 13 examples seven are holed, two of them twice (one is your father's)

Where is/was the second hole? I see only one and repaired.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 04:41:49 pm »
You are right, Lech. The globe and the bowl (with flames) looked suspicious, but if a hole had been plugged there the plug was then smoothed, which is not the case with the visible plug. So there was only one hole, as in many of the others.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity