Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Gréau woes...

<< < (2/2)

Kevin D:
Thanks for taking the time to post these individual URLs, there are some great catalogs here!

helvetica:
FINALLY, the Gréau arrived. She posted it in late afternoon of the 20th May only 4 days ago, so after she received my last email. She sent it herself (from her personal address so the "depot" she mentioned seems very dubious) by surface, unregistered (post cost under 3 Euros despite my paying her 15 Euros for registered post).
It is nice condition, some heavy foxing on the blank pages at the front and back of the book, but it is an original bound version from 1867 with a different coloured binding that the one on gallica. (The Gallica one is blue marble, mine is a red curly type pattern much favoured by 19th century book binders) so I don't think it is a reprint (there is no mention of a reprint on the inside pages which are identical to the ones on Gallica).

So I don't need to contact some biker friends in Paris and "send the boys round"...  (which I once had to do with a shop in California) :D

Kevin D:
Glad the catalog showed up. Sounds like an original to me; not sure how much demand there would be for a reprint of this.

Really happy to get the Pacha Greek catalog you linked to previously. That's one I did not have and it is not easy to come by.

Virgil H:
I am happy you finally got the book and hopefully it was finally worth it even at the expense to have an original and not a scan. I am assuming you are in Switzerland. All things considered, I would want the real book over any digital copy. Sounds like your seller was just lazy. Myself, being in the US, mail has become a huge issue with international shipments. Things coming from Eastern Europe can take two months or never arrive at all. Western Europe not as bad, but not great, either. Even within the US, things have become bad although stuff at least usually gets to me. I always worry about bidding on auctions with European houses because of mail issues and not because I don't trust them. But, Europe often has things I want that I either can't find in US or are significantly less expensive than here as far as coins go. I stress out about the mail. LOL.

Regards,
Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version