Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown (to me!) early Persian gold/electrum? coin to identify!  (Read 599 times)

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
Hello all,
I'm, as usual, out of my depth!
A couple minutes ago, I was happily going along, tearing apart the wrappings on some nice ancient copper lots I bought for their early roman contents from [Removed By Admin], as any good coin collector does, when I suddenly, and wholly unexpectedly found something which absolutely didn't quite look like copper amongst my newest treasures.
My very little experience suggests to me that I'm looking at a piece of Persian low-purity gold of some sort, maybe a fractional piece?
I'm looking forwards to being told a little bit more about it thanks to your experience!
Thanks in advance!
LRC

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Unknown (to me!) early Persian gold/electrum? coin to identify!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:03:05 am »
Perhaps a Persian silver siglos with unusual toning.  Though the two incuses on the reverse confuses me.

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:02:23 am »
Indeed!
All I can find on the internet are vague references to the existence of fractional Persian gold pieces.
Additionally, I do see that the two-stamp reverse types fade out quite early in the Persian empire, replaced by the standardized high-purity Daric.
That's about it though...

Any contribution to this thread would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 11:37:28 pm »
Slight bump?
I'm still totally in the dark ???

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 01:12:25 am »
Unfortunately the „internet“, definitely is not coin-omniscient. You just have to consult printed sources, too.
Personally I consider this object a forgery

Regards
Klaus

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 11:30:41 am »
... Personally I consider this object a forgery ...
I agree to that :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity