Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial help ID  (Read 808 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Roman Provincial help ID
« on: January 27, 2022, 05:38:47 pm »
Hi for all friends

Need help to id this coin, please?

14mm 2 grs

Thank you for your help

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Roman Provincial help ID
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 08:13:02 pm »
Roman Provincial.
Obverse: Caligula
Reverse: Julia
This should help a bit….if I am correct. Let’s see what others say.
PeteB

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:49:39 pm »
Dear Young and Board,

As I know where you had found this coin, but do not know the reason(s) why you are interested in having it identified, I will help you this time.  Here is a match, which I had discovered some days ago:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5437 

It is hard to say without seeing the coin in hand, but the countermark may be Howgego 748:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/countermark/748

This would be rather interesting, considering the suspected origins of RPC I 5437:

In the future, it would be nice to know your reason(s) for these kinds of attribution requests.  If it is for your education, to help a friend, for a research project, or even the result of simple curiosity, then of course it is okay to ask here for help!  If it is to screen a purchase or something else of that nature, then maybe not... 

In any event, I hope some of this was helpful to you, including my advice.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 05:47:08 am »
If anyone has a problem with a topic, they should report it to the moderator using the links on the page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity