Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This coin could be a fake?Philista Drachm Gaza---Help needed  (Read 661 times)

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
This coin could be a fake?Philista Drachm Gaza---Help needed
« on: January 25, 2022, 04:25:20 pm »
Hi all;
I have this coin in my Collection since years:Philista  Drachm Gaza- and i dont know really if its a fake coin or now?Help needed
*Gaza (Ca. 445-410 BC). AR quarter-shekel (14mm, 4,24 gm, 1h). Bearded male head r. with oriental hairstyle, bunched in back /R to r. of Owl standing r., head facing, olive spray in upper l. field, AZH in Aramaic to right, all within dotted square border and incuse square. Gitler-Tal V.1D. Samuels 3 .Mild 1990a, pl. 5,33. Extremely rare.Thick black patina.
Thanks in advance for all help
PS:Those photos are the bests that i can do
I clean it myself because of very heavy earth deposit,i used lemon juice but still black patina sticked all over as you can see

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: This coin could be a fake?Philista Drachm Gaza---Help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 08:45:35 pm »
Try using concentrated lemon juice with the coin wrapped in aluminum foil. Poke a dozen or more holes with a sharp toothpick in the foil before wrapping it around the coin. The holes let the gases escape and allow the lemon juice to penetrate to the coin’s surfaceCompletely submerge it.
Let it soak about 24 hours. Then brush it LIGHTLY with a soft toothbrush.
Please let us know the results.
PeteB

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 09:39:34 pm »
I prefer the find patina.  That is, if it's real.

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 08:12:44 am »
Thanks for your replies;
I prefer to keep the original patina
Thanks again

All coins are guaranteed for eternity