Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla mule (RIC 180?)  (Read 311 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Caracalla mule (RIC 180?)
« on: September 25, 2021, 05:52:12 pm »
Going through a miscellany of coins, most of which came as parts of group lots, I just noticed what seems to be a rare Caracalla denarius (most likely a hybrid). I think it’s listed as 180 in RIC, but I’m missing part iv so can’t check. OCRE has the type listed (but illustrated with a different coin).

ANTONINVS - PIVS AVG Laureate, youthful head right.
VOTA SVS-CEPTA XX Emperor standing, togate and with head covered, sacrificing over tripod to left (possibly holding roll).
3,19 g. 20 mm. ↑↑

The type was discussed here: https://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=60916 where there is also a link to another (sold) specimen on V-coins (a double die match?).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity