Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian RIC 569  (Read 309 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Domitian RIC 569
« on: July 27, 2021, 06:41:47 am »
I have been watching the output of a seller on ebay that has been introducing quite a few coins that I have have not seen offered before. The coins all appear to be cast.

Whilst the following characteristics are not in themselves damning they are worthy of note. The seller purports to be based in Austria but is actually in Bulgaria. All the auctions are private.

In an interesting twist they seller generally offers the coins in either a BuyItNow (Make Offer) format or has a standard auction format but with the starting price in the $200-$300 range. This seems to be a tactic to create credibility in the knowledge of the seller in that they are not starting everything at $1. Many of the types are scarce / rare.

This is the first that I wanted to share. It has all the signs of being cast. No characteristics of a struck coin. Soft details, rounded edges, evidence of casting pits, remnants of casting sprue at 4 o'clock on reverse.

Domitian AR Denarius
Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERMANIC COS XIIII, Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, right
Rev: CENS P P P across field, Minerva stg. left, with spear
Rome mint, 88 AD
References - RIC 569 (Rated R). BMC 140. RSC 26a.
Weight 3.38 gms

Thoughts?

Once confirmed by others I will add these to the fake reports.

Martin

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Domitian RIC 569
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:09:31 am »
I think you are correct about both coins--they just do not look right to me.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 08:11:02 am »
These fakes have been floating around for a while now.  Thanks for reminding us.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 08:26:33 am »
I think the fields are too porous for this type. Looks cast to me. That said, as casts go, this one is more convincing than most.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity