Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rhytà depicted on Greek coins  (Read 1424 times)

Offline FEDERICO D

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
Rhytà depicted on Greek coins
« on: June 20, 2021, 07:25:37 am »
A review in Italian language of some Greek coins depicting a particular type of container called rhytòn, that is to say a vase used to draw water or wine from larger containers intended to be poured into libations or drunk.

https://www.academia.edu/49297276/F_De_Luca_Rhyt%C3%A0_raffigurati_su_monete_greche_Monete_Antiche_n_105_Maggio_Giugno_2019_pagg_3_6

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Rhytà depicted on Greek coins
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:08:31 am »
Hi FD,

Regarding the last coin in your post (the Campano-Tarentine didrachm), I almost purchased an example about 2 years ago. However, the deal fell through.

A European dealer had an example in an auction at that time. It had the rhyton symbol below the horse. It had strange and rough surfaces though. I was concerned about its authenticity. I consulted with Nick Molinari at that time, and he agreed with that concern. I am not stating that it was definitely a fake, but there was definitely something "funny" about it. It looked "off". It was very odd-looking. No one bid on it. It was on his list of unsold lots. I tried to negotiate a deal because I felt that the minimum bid was too high. The dealer agreed with me, but the consignor refused to budge. He wouldn't accept a lower price for it, so I didn't purchase it. It is a Very Rare (R2) coin.

I wonder if there are any known fakes for that specific issue (the ones with the rhyton symbol below the horse).

Meepzorp

Offline FEDERICO D

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 07:57:08 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on June 21, 2021, 06:08:31 am
Hi FD,

Regarding the last coin in your post (the Campano-Tarentine didrachm), I almost purchased an example about 2 years ago. However, the deal fell through.

A European dealer had an example in an auction at that time. It had the rhyton symbol below the horse. It had strange and rough surfaces though. I was concerned about its authenticity. I consulted with Nick Molinari at that time, and he agreed with that concern. I am not stating that it was definitely a fake, but there was definitely something "funny" about it. It looked "off". It was very odd-looking. No one bid on it. It was on his list of unsold lots. I tried to negotiate a deal because I felt that the minimum bid was too high. The dealer agreed with me, but the consignor refused to budge. He wouldn't accept a lower price for it, so I didn't purchase it. It is a Very Rare (R2) coin.

I wonder if there are any known fakes for that specific issue (the ones with the rhyton symbol below the horse).

Meepzorp

Interesting story. On the final question, unfortunately, I would not know how to answer ...

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 12:32:22 pm »
The rhyton symbol is not terribly uncommon on the poorly named 'Campano-Tarentine' didrachms, occurring on a number of examples, facing either left or right, and at least one type featuring a goat protome rather than the usual horse.
However I only know of the one example of it appearing on a 'Horseman', the example shown above. This is not to suggest there isn't another type, but I'm not aware of it. Evans sometimes confusing text seems to refer to a litra featuring a rhyton, but I have not been able to track that one down.

Taras was renowned for its ceramics, which traded throughout the Mediterranean and are often featured on their coins.
While visiting the Seattle Art Museum with a friend a few years back we were treated to a lovely example of a Tarentine griffin rhyton on display in the Greco-Roman section.
If I can find the image online I will attach it here.

~ Peter

Edit;
Found it!

Offline FEDERICO D

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 05:16:45 pm »
Silver rhyton found in an excavation in Taranto, dated to the end of the 5th-beginning of 4th century BC, now in the Civici Musei di Arte e Storia, Trieste, Italy

Offline FEDERICO D

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 05:20:11 pm »
More photos of the rhytòn from the previous post

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:20:19 am »
Hi folks,

I found an image of the exact coin I almost purchased 2-3 years ago.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 12:26:11 am »
Hi folks,

On the example that I almost purchased, it appears to be a goat protome below the horse, not a horse protome.

Meepzorp

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 01:12:49 am »
I don't see anything obvious to eliminate that coin from authenticity, but it's hard to tell from the image. The goat protome is less common than the horse, and if I remember correctly is from a single die (but I'm not sticking by that!). I'm not currently with my books. The city of Troas produced many bronze coins with a protome on the obverse, some described as a rhyton.

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity