Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine coin legends  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
Byzantine coin legends
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:48:42 pm »
I am announcing my website on Byzantine coin legends:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/legends.html

It is possible to collect Byzantine coins by emperor and type without knowing what their legends say. The site is intended to enable collectors to understand and translate the legends.

It has sections on numerals/numbers, the Greek alphabet, abbreviations and words, emperor's names, mints, monograms, and many examples in order of Sear number.

I intend the page to be easy to navigate. There are very many internal links and most legends are linked to images of coins with those legends. It is primarily aimed at copper coins. Unusual legends on rare gold and silver coins have been omitted.

This is the first announced version of the web site. Web sites are easy to correct and supplement. If you have suggestions for corrections or supplements, please contact me at the email address on the site. Again, the URL is:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/legends.html

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Byzantine coin legends
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:15:00 am »
Another excellent and very useful addition to your already great site Warren.  Thanks!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:50:23 am »
Ditto. I agree with Shawn. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 10:05:15 am »
Great job, I was able to follow along, despite not having any experience or collecting interest in coins of this period.  You made it easy to grasp.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 10:49:20 am »
Great, useful website, thanks,  +++

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity