Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Arrow & Bolt Head References

<< < (6/9) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
Interesting. I changed it back. I have never seen an iron trilobate bladed arrowhead. Triangular solid (bodkin), I have seen but not bladed.

Kamnaskires:
Iranian tanged bronze arrowheads, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Second millennium BC dating on left of chart. The classifications I-V are based on the form of the blades. In most cases the dimensions are not provided, although Medvedskaya does mention that examples of Type I range between 3.2 cm to 13 cm.

According to Medvedskaya, iron arrowheads were not produced in Iran until Iron Age II (c. 1000 – 800 BC), and “they mostly repeat types I and IIa”. He concurs with P. R. S. Moorey (Catalogue of the Ancient Persian Bronzes in the Ashmolean Museum) that “arrowheads of both periods (Iron Age I and II in Iran) are not differentiated territorially…but it should be noted that arrowheads with a drooping barb and ‘wings’ predominate in the northern areas (Talish, Khurvin, and Marlik).”

Kamnaskires:
Bronze tanged arrowheads from Western Asia, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Second millennium BC (late Bronze Age through end of Iron Age I) dating to left. Sizes not provided.

Kamnaskires:
First millennium BC bronze socketed arrowheads of Iran, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Dating to left. Sizes not provided.

quadrans:
Hi, Bob,

Great help, Thanks ... +++

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version