Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Sr lifetime portrait  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Faustina Sr lifetime portrait
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:49:33 am »
I was able to buy this wonderful austere portrait of Faustina Sr on a dupondius. Being alive, she may have been admired, but above all she would have been esteemed as the 'First Lady' of the Empire. reading her portrait here, she was no lady to be taken lightly and that was probably just what the portrait had to convey.
I am very happy with the coin, be it somewhat rough on the surfaces.
FAVSTINA AVG  :dot: - ANTONINI AVG PII PP her draped bust right with an intricate hairdo /
CONCOR - DIA AVG Concordia standing left, holding patera and double cornucopiae; on this coin she seems to be leaning on a column. S - C in fields. It is RIC 1088, weighing 13 grammes.
It is quite rare as I was only able to find three different specimens online.

Hope you like it too

Frans

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Faustina Sr lifetime portrait
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:13:02 pm »
Sweet => I love it!! (congrats, Diederik)

+++

I happen to have a pretty cool AS-example ... wanna see it?

Yup, she is definitely a classic coin-gal (her look is very recognizable) ... congrats again on that sweet OP-score

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:04:48 am »
Thanks for your input.
Your as (CNG, if I am not mistaken) is the rarer variant with veiled bust. I always love the architectural types!

Frans

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »
A lovely, if somewhat stern portrait. Congrats, especially on the rarity.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity