Antiquities Discussion Forums > Egyptian Antiquities

Scarab from old HJBerk sale

<< < (2/2)

Russ:
Hi,
     Actually, Hyksos scarabs are problematic in that the invaders often used Egyptian elements for purely decorative purposes. They used hieroglyphics at random, so many of them cannot be translated because the carvers had no idea what they were writing or inscribing. There are ancient legends that often included triads. When Ra was bitten by a snake, Isis and Nephthys nursed him back to health. When Set plucked out the eye of Horus, Isis and Nephthys restored his sight. The figures do look like a woman flanked by two men, perhaps there is a story of these three that did not survive antiquity. This is part of the mystery and romance of scarabs - and it can be frustrating.
Russ

Nemonater:
At long last I finally had a chance to get a picture up. Russ, I really appreciate your observations!

Russ:
Hi,

Great photo.
     Yes, the back confirms it, definitely Second Intermediate Period, Hyksos. I could not find any exact parallels, but similar examples are known. The more common varieties have a figure, standing or kneeling and holding a flower. On yours the central figure has one arm outstretched - perhaps there was no room for the carver to include the flower.
     See:
Niccacci, Alviero. Hyksos Scarabs, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Museum 2, Jerusalem, 1980: Plates 5 and 6.

Russ

Nemonater:

--- Quote from: Russ on December 12, 2016, 09:59:30 am ---Hi,

Great photo.
     Yes, the back confirms it, definitely Second Intermediate Period, Hyksos. I could not find any exact parallels, but similar examples are known. The more common varieties have a figure, standing or kneeling and holding a flower. On yours the central figure has one arm outstretched - perhaps there was no room for the carver to include the flower.
     See:
Niccacci, Alviero. Hyksos Scarabs, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Museum 2, Jerusalem, 1980: Plates 5 and 6.

Russ

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much Russ!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version