Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarab from old HJBerk sale  (Read 15669 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Scarab from old HJBerk sale
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:40:49 pm »
I just received this scarab with an old HJB tag.  I know nothing about Egyptian antiquities and I was just wondering if the figures could possibly be identified? 

Offline Russ

• Consul
Sorry for the delay but th
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »
Hi,
     From the design motif and manner of cutting, I would say First Intermediate Period. Could you send a photo of the back to confirm?

Sorry for the delay but Numiswiki's web master seems to have lost my name and password. I had to change it. Anyone else have this problem? I tried contacting the web master but received no response.

Russ

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Scarab from old HJBerk sale
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 05:51:01 am »
Hi Russ,

I'll try to get new pictures of both sides up today. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Nemo

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:04:10 am »
Hi,
Sorry for the type-o. It is Second Intermediate Period, a "Hyksos" type.
Russ

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »
Thanks again Russ.  I'll get good pictures of both sides as soon as I can. 

I wonder if it's possible to identify the figures on the scarab? It appears to me to possibly be a male and female on the left facing a child on the right.  Perhaps Osiris, Isis and Horus or Latopolis Khnum, Neith and Heka?

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 07:11:56 pm »
Hi,
     Actually, Hyksos scarabs are problematic in that the invaders often used Egyptian elements for purely decorative purposes. They used hieroglyphics at random, so many of them cannot be translated because the carvers had no idea what they were writing or inscribing. There are ancient legends that often included triads. When Ra was bitten by a snake, Isis and Nephthys nursed him back to health. When Set plucked out the eye of Horus, Isis and Nephthys restored his sight. The figures do look like a woman flanked by two men, perhaps there is a story of these three that did not survive antiquity. This is part of the mystery and romance of scarabs - and it can be frustrating.
Russ

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 09:12:26 pm »
At long last I finally had a chance to get a picture up. Russ, I really appreciate your observations!

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:59:30 am »
Hi,

Great photo.
     Yes, the back confirms it, definitely Second Intermediate Period, Hyksos. I could not find any exact parallels, but similar examples are known. The more common varieties have a figure, standing or kneeling and holding a flower. On yours the central figure has one arm outstretched - perhaps there was no room for the carver to include the flower.
     See:
Niccacci, Alviero. Hyksos Scarabs, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Museum 2, Jerusalem, 1980: Plates 5 and 6.

Russ

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 10:28:25 am »
Hi,

Great photo.
     Yes, the back confirms it, definitely Second Intermediate Period, Hyksos. I could not find any exact parallels, but similar examples are known. The more common varieties have a figure, standing or kneeling and holding a flower. On yours the central figure has one arm outstretched - perhaps there was no room for the carver to include the flower.
     See:
Niccacci, Alviero. Hyksos Scarabs, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Museum 2, Jerusalem, 1980: Plates 5 and 6.

Russ

Thanks so much Russ!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity