Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Double-used letter on reverse?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Double-used letter on reverse?
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:57:41 pm »
Hi!

Here is my latest coin. An AE26 of Elagabal from Nikopolis.

Elagabal AD 218-222
AE 26, 10.84g
struck under the legate Novius Rufus (as always)
obv. [AVT KM AVR] - ANTWNINOC
        bust, draped and cuirassed, laureate, r.
rev. VPA NOBIOV ROVFOV NIKOPLITWN / PROC ICT / R / O / N
       City-gate with two towers, high two-winged door, above emperor in quadriga
       facing, on top of each tower a horse, standing outwards
AMNG 2003; Varbanov  3137 var; Moushmov 1394
rare with quadriga, F+/about VF

A closer look shows the missing O between P and L in NIKOPLITWN. But directly beside PL you see the O in the r. field for ICTRON. Now I think this O could be used twice, for POL and for TRON. It is well known that there are space problems with the long legend of Nikopolis. Is this suggestion possible and did it occur on other coins too?

Any opinion welcomed!

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Double-used letter on reverse?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:56:24 pm »
Oh, that's a rare one, all right.  Pick's pl. XX, 13.  A city gate with its closed valvae represented all studded and with sculpture on top of everything!
I think the die cutter just forgot the O, though he may have placed the one in ISTRON where it might seem best!
Now you have some new 2mm-tall statuary to worry about.  I have never seen a modern photo of this coin before.
Congratulations!  I see you got your AMNG.  Isn't it wonderful?
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity