Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
Re: Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:40 am »
a triskeles and a triquetra are two different symbols, the former meaning "three legs" (roughly), the latter meaning "three corners" (see image below).

Yes, quite correct. I'd rather write that the second term is sometimes used improperly as a synonim. Never accept wiki information without proof-reading ;)
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:56 am »
Never accept wiki information without proof-reading ;)

SO true!
I find errors in Wikipedia articles on such a regular basis that it has become a source of amusement for me to look for them.
What is NOT amusing is how dependent people are becoming on this convenient but notoriously unreliable source of information, particularly younger people, many of whom actually believe that looking something up on there is doing research.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity