Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Yet another Roman Provincial  (Read 454 times)

Dave S3

Yet another Roman Provincial
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:50 pm »
Last for now is a pretty miserable example, the obverse inscription is missing; possible Severus Alexander, but may be another emperor.

The part that has me  very interested is the reverse. The inscription commences with "CΛΛ" and ends with an "N". The fourth letter could easily be an H (or an L), and 2nd last could be a "Ω" (which is common for 2nd last letters). The other letters are off-flan. The image is interesting; it has a woman partially facing, in a long flowing dress, possibly also with a very long flowing veil or scarf (is shown as going from head to ground behind her), with her right arm holding a long staff (or scepter) and in the crook of her left arm are what looks like barley heads (or corn?).  I have never seen a deity positioned like this on a Roman Provincial before. My first guess would be Demeter, but I can't find her in a similar stance.

Likely this is from Sala, Lydia.

The coin weighs 5.8g and is 21mm wide.

Any help appreciated! :)

regards
David

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Yet another Roman Provincial
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 02:11:33 am »
Elaea:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3342363

AEOLIS, Elaea. Commodus. AD 177-192. Æ (18mm, 3.49 g, 12h). Struck circa AD 188-192. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Demeter standing left, holding scepter in right hand, grain ears and poppy in left. SNG Copenhagen –; McClean 7944.

Pekka K

Dave S3

Re: Yet another Roman Provincial
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:46:17 am »
Thank you very much, again!

regards
Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity